X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Looking for info on Clan Scott genealogy, please!

In particular, I am looking for further information on my ancestor, one Thomas Scott. Born in Scotland about 1772, moved to Chelsea, Middlesex England around 1841, and died about 1851. I am trying to find a birth location, and possible info on his parents.

If you fine folk have any sources to look into, I’d appreciate the help!

Best,

John

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From one Scott to another, I wish you the best of luck. My suggestion is to search church records, court records and tax records in the Chelsea area. If the UK has census records (national, regional, or even city-level), you might check those as well.

Since finding out in about 2002 that a distant cousin had been doing research about my (our) Scott line, I have been interested in finding out where my Scotts came from as well. Our sticking point is southwest Virginia. Our ancestor settled in the Clinch River valley in the 1770's, then moved to what is now Green County, Kentucky in the 1790's. We don't know where he was before settling in Virginia or anything about his parentage.

Yours aye,
    John Scott
    John

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scottish Records

You should try https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, they will have the most complete records of birth certificates and parish records to aid you.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Miller6582 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to both of you. @EagleJCS- I’ve got everyone from Thomas down to me accounted for. Trying to go a bit further back and at least narrow down a geographical area. Seems that Scotts in Scotland are much like Smiths in the USA.

@Miller6582- Thanks for that, hadn’t found that link before.
    Last edited by Recon1342; 5th September 21 at 02:28 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Recon1342 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scotts are a borders family, not specifically a clan, and are certainly not a highland clan. Maps such as this - http://reivers.info/wp-content/uploa...th-Century.jpg - give an indication of their territory and may give an indication of where to start any searches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
    Scotts are a borders family, not specifically a clan, and are certainly not a highland clan. Maps such as this - http://reivers.info/wp-content/uploa...th-Century.jpg - give an indication of their territory and may give an indication of where to start any searches.
    Thank you for narrowing it down a bit. I was aware the Scotts are a border family, but they are still recognized as a clan by the Lord Lyon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recon1342 View Post
    Thank you for narrowing it down a bit. I was aware the Scotts are a border family, but they are still recognized as a clan by the Lord Lyon.
    Yes, they are and the clan chief is Richard Walter John Montagu Douglas Scott, 10th Duke of Buccleuch and 12th Duke of Queensberry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richar...e_of_Buccleuch
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 10th September 21 at 05:40 PM.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    Yes, they are and the clan chief is Richard Walter John Montagu Douglas Scott, 10th Duke of Buccleuch and 12th Duke of Queensberry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richar...e_of_Buccleuch
    There’s been rather a lot of research going on here lately. I narrowed it down to five Thomas Scotts, and then someone updated their info and mine all went away. Now, I don’t even know if my ancestor was born in Scotland. Eh, C’est la vie. I’ve got a lot more branches to track down, so it’ll keep me busy for a bit.

I’m not particularly worried. My family tree has several branches that go back to before the arrival of William in 1066. I may not be a true Scott, but I’m Celtic clear through.

Thanks to all for the support and information!