X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lochcarron -

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lochcarron -

Lochcarron are about to launch a new range of Strome British Wool Kilt Cloth. They are currently doing a special for me and I have been very impressed with their attention to detail from shade matching to working to my setting, including a herringbone selvedge.

Blog Post

YouTube

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Lochcarron are about to launch a new range of Strome British Wool Kilt Cloth.
    It's not clear how it differs from previous versions of the Strome weave

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Padraicog View Post
    It's not clear how it differs from previous versions of the Strome weave
    Scottish wool, woven on their older type looms meaning that cloth has a selvedge. Oh and using Scottish wool as opposed to imported NZ wool.
    Last edited by figheadair; 4th September 21 at 01:36 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scottish wool, woven on their older type looms meaning that cloth has a selvedge. Oh and using Scottish wool as opposed to imported NZ wool.
    I might be accused of splitting hairs here, but might it be more accurate to say that British wool is being used? Nevertheless, a really worthwhile project and I wish it every success.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I might be accused of splitting hairs here, but might it be more accurate to say that British wool is being used? Nevertheless, a really worthwhile project and I wish it every success.
    A hair well split - British wool it is.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a sample swatch of Lochcarron Strome single width kilting from 15 or so years ago, and, as chance would have it, I find myself potentially in the market for buying a kilt length. This old swatch seems to be a superior material to the current standard double-width Strome, hence my interest.

My enquiries to Lochcarron have been met with very helpful responses from Lochcarron, with the offer of weaving a superb-sounding cloth with a herring-bone selvedge, as mentioned in the previous post.

As always, there is a downside - cost..! I would need to commission a 60metre length at £88 per metre - which would make for a very expensive kilt, and rather a lot of left-over material.

I guess what I need is to find a jobbing weaver whose operational methods would make weaving a kilt length worth their while - anyone have any reccommendations..?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I have a sample swatch of Lochcarron Strome single width kilting from 15 or so years ago, and, as chance would have it, I find myself potentially in the market for buying a kilt length. This old swatch seems to be a superior material to the current standard double-width Strome, hence my interest.

My enquiries to Lochcarron have been met with very helpful responses from Lochcarron, with the offer of weaving a superb-sounding cloth with a herring-bone selvedge, as mentioned in the previous post.

As always, there is a downside - cost..! I would need to commission a 60metre length at £88 per metre - which would make for a very expensive kilt, and rather a lot of left-over material.

I guess what I need is to find a jobbing weaver whose operational methods would make weaving a kilt length worth their while - anyone have any reccommendations..?
    - or maybe you could find enough other people that would buy the cloth you don’t want. ( I did that years ago, when I needed to order a minimum of 30 meters).
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The handle of this new cloth is much nicer their standard double-width. It's coarser and much closer to their older material. Looking forward to having this made up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210926_162734.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	40677 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210926_162742.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	40678

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The handle of this new cloth is much nicer their standard double-width. It's coarser and much closer to their older material. Looking forward to having this made up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210926_162734.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	40677 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210926_162742.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	40678
    Do you know why Lochcarron abandoned their old single-width range?

What (if any, as I cannot really see how there could be) are the advantages of a tuck-in selvedge over a traditional 'kilting' selvedge?

Both Lochcarron and Marton Mills standard cloths seem to be tuck-in, whilst other commercial tartan weavers warn that a sewn hem will be required on a kilt made from their cloth, as it has no selvedge.

Marton Mills' cloth has quite a crude finished edge, from what I have seen.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know why Lochcarron abandoned their old single-width range?
    I imagine it's because the Hattersley looms were too slow, required too much manual input and were geeting too expensive to maintain.

What (if any, as I cannot really see how there could be) are the advantages of a tuck-in selvedge over a traditional 'kilting' selvedge?

Both Lochcarron and Marton Mills standard cloths seem to be tuck-in, whilst other commercial tartan weavers warn that a sewn hem will be required on a kilt made from their cloth, as it has no selvedge.
    A 'tuck-in selvedge' is a misnomer IMO. No benefit beyond profit. The move to a Tuck Edge was all about speed and thus, cost effeciency. I dislike the tuck-in line (about a half an inch from the edge) that seems to be a feature of so much of this cloth.

From an historical perspective, a Tuck-in edge looses the ability to include a selvedge mark or selvedge pattern.

Marton Mills' cloth has quite a crude finished edge, from what I have seen.
    They also weave with a Tuck Edge finish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast