X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have experiences with AfroCeltic Sporrans?

They have a site https://afrocelticsporrans.com/pages/collections
    Some of their examples look unorthodox & interesting. Seems to be run by a master kiltmaker based in South Africa. Your thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No experience with them, but highly intrigued. What phenomenal specimens.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to 12stones For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must agree! If they hold what they promise... I'd nearly rob a bank... (Wink)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not bought one but at one of the last Highland Games I attended (pre-Covid) there was a booth with a nice display of around a dozen of their sporrans and they looked fantastic.

Those sporrans did that difficult-to-achieve thing of simultaneously looking innovative and retro.

I'm not such a big fan of some of the exotic furs, but I love their traditional-looking ornate Victorianesque cantles.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I've not bought one but at one of the last Highland Games I attended (pre-Covid) there was a booth with a nice display of around a dozen of their sporrans and they looked fantastic.

Those sporrans did that difficult-to-achieve thing of simultaneously looking innovative and retro.

I'm not such a big fan of some of the exotic furs, but I love their traditional-looking ornate Victorianesque cantles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI1g8kPrYzw

Look at this specimen! Now that's what I call 3D! I've never seen anything like it. Have you seen any examples of "pop-out" designs before, OC?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some nice looking work. I think those ram horns could get to be a hazard, but nicely done. But all too rich for the likes of me, besides I have a bundle of sporrans and you can only wear one at a time.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriegbert View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI1g8kPrYzw

Look at this specimen! Now that's what I call 3D! I've never seen anything like it. Have you seen any examples of "pop-out" designs before, OC?
    No, and I don't think one would see such things in traditional Highland Dress, which at its core is practical clothing.

Yes one would see raised designs, generally hammered out from the back (repousse) from sheet silver. A practical sporran is as lightweight as possible.

It's actually a thing that strikes me when handling sporrans and sginean from the Victorian period into the 1930s, everything is slender and light.

Here's an Afro-Celt sporran with beautiful cantle of cast metal. It's rather heavy.

A beautiful sporran from c1930. The cantle is thin sheet silver which has been engraved. The central boss is a separate hollow piece which is screwed in place. The sporran is quite light.

A c1970 sporran with repousse sheet-silver cantle; the bosses and thistles have been hammered out from the back.

You get some dimension but with no weight penalty.

Last edited by OC Richard; 16th November 21 at 05:08 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: