X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Major Disadvantage of Sporrang Hangers/Suspenders (from kilt belt buckle area)?

I tried sporran suspsnders as opposed to the sporran chain, & I have noticed a swing like motion especially when walking over bending over that is unpleasant; anyone else have this problem?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used sporran hangers as I was concerned about how they may affect the movement of the sporran. Seems like you've confirmed this for me, though plenty use them, right? I've only ever used a belt as opposed to a chain to save wear on the kilts.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to 12stones For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them all the time. They do ‘hang’, but that is their intent. If you don’t like use a sporran belt or chain.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too use the hangers and I don't feel like there was an unusual swing to my sporran; I may be wearing mine a little spread out though. I would say I do not remember ever thinking it was so distinctly different to a sporran chain.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is possible that you have the sporran hanging a bit low.
    Sporran hangers are usually designed for large guys with a bit of a belly. What we call "Gentlemen of substance".
    So there are often chains that allow the sporran to hang well on larger guys. For others the links of the chain can be removed or shortened as needed.

The idea with a sporran is that it is not intended to be a crotch protector. To keep from swinging around, or hitting sensitive places, the sporran should be worn up, on the belly.
    If you wear your kilt at the anatomical waist this is not a problem. But when wearing a kilt lower the sporran ends up too low.

If your sporran suspenders came with a chain try removing links to get the sporran just under the belt buckle.

See if this helps.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

8. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not worn hangers, but I see them often at Highland Games, and it seems to me that with certain men it allows the kilt to hang better that it would bound round by the traditional full sporran belt.

I'm for anything that allows the kilt to hang more naturally, and anything that subjects the kilt to less wear.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The timing of this thread is perfect! I was at the NH Highland Games today and saw quite a few men sporting hangers, so I was considering getting some. I thought they looked like a good alternative for two reasons:
    1) Less wear on the kilt
    2) Less having to fight with the belt to adjust the sporran chain

My belt and sporran always get “out of whack”, but never to the same degree (or even in the same direction!). As a result, it’s always a struggle having to try to adjust both belts throughout the day. The hangers would reduce the number of belts I have to wrestle down to one!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Navy87Guy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy87Guy View Post

Less having to fight with the belt to adjust the sporran chain...my belt and sporran always get “out of whack”, but never to the same degree (or even in the same direction!). As a result, it’s always a struggle having to try to adjust both belts throughout the day. The hangers would reduce the number of belts I have to wrestle down to one!
    I usually don't wear a waistbelt, but when I have it stays in place. I do have to cinch it snugly.

The issue I have had is when I wear my large goathair sporran on a plain leather sporran-belt. That sporran has a body considerably larger than is usual for sporrans and when marching around playing the pipes (at a wedding etc) it tends to migrate to one side, maybe because my legs are whacking it as I march.

The solution I've found is using a chain-strap, which keeps the sporran in place. I wonder if that's how chain-straps originated.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte