X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    9,281
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    The Glasgow-based manufacturer and retailer, St Kilda Store do a good line in clan badges -

    https://stkildastore.com/Clan-Items/Clan-Badges
    Yes the middle and right-hand ones are cast using the old Carrick moulds, Carrick's large badges (50mm).

    Carrick also did small badges (40mm) in an old style which goes back at least to the early 20th century, evidently using old moulds, perhaps the old Ebbutt moulds.

    In most cases Pipe Bands wore the large Carrick badges on Glengarries, while the small Carrick badges were normally worn on Balmorals.

    The left-hand badge is AFAIK Gaelic Themes' original design. Gaelic Themes is largely aimed at Pipe Band custom so the large size (47mm) makes sense.

    The large and small Carrick badges in situ

    Last edited by OC Richard; 11th September 21 at 11:48 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

  2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:


  3. #12
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    9,281
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk1961 View Post
    I threw together this collage showing a number of different firms making this style badge.

    It's almost as if they're using the same moulds, or making casts from each other.

    Look at these features cropping up repeatedly (though sometimes they disappear on individual badges in the same range)

    -to the left of the vertical portion of the strap, two grommets, the right-most one placed low.

    -to the right of the vertical portion of the strap, two grommets.

    -oval buckle with interior lunettes top and bottom.

    -distinctive chape, with vertical oval bit.

    These are:

    Thomas Ebbutt 1958_____no name said to be 1950s_____R G Lawrie no date

    Peter Henderson no date_____Carrick no date____Carrick no date



    Thomas Kerr Ebbutt, St David's Square, Edinburgh 1900-1977 (sold to Hamilton & Inches)

    R G Lawrie and Peter Henderson were Glasgow pipemakers, established in the late 19th century, who made and hallmarked their own silver bagpipe mounts, and also make a range of "Highland ornaments".
    RGL hallmark 1908
    PH hallmark 1920

    Carrick Jewellery 1971-c2005 (sold to St Kilda Group AKA Gaelic Themes)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 11th September 21 at 05:40 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

  4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:


  5. #13
    Join Date
    26th December 20
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I threw together this collage showing a number of different firms making this style badge.

    It's almost as if they're using the same moulds, or making casts from each other.

    Look at these features cropping up repeatedly (though sometimes they disappear on individual badges in the same range)

    -to the left of the vertical portion of the strap, two grommets, the right-most one placed low.

    -to the right of the vertical portion of the strap, two grommets.

    -oval buckle with interior lunettes top and bottom.

    -distinctive chape, with vertical oval bit.

    These are:

    Thomas Ebbutt 1958_____no name said to be 1950s_____R G Lawrie no date

    Peter Henderson no date_____Carrick no date____Carrick no date



    Thomas Kerr Ebbutt, St David's Square, Edinburgh 1900-1977 (sold to Hamilton & Inches)

    R G Lawrie and Peter Henderson were Glasgow pipemakers, established in the late 19th century, who made and hallmarked their own silver bagpipe mounts, and also make a range of "Highland ornaments".
    RGL hallmark 1908
    PH hallmark 1920

    Carrick Jewellery 1971-c2005 (sold to St Kilda Group AKA Gaelic Themes)
    Fascinating! Thank you so much for sharing all of this ...

  6. #14
    Join Date
    26th December 20
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    The Glasgow-based manufacturer and retailer, St Kilda Store do a good line in clan badges -

    https://stkildastore.com/Clan-Items/Clan-Badges

    They will also silver-plate pewter items for a nominal fee, so there is always that option...
    Thanks for the tip. My jeweler could also do it. But I think I prefer the authenticity and patina of the original material ... even if it isn't of the highest quality.

  7. #15
    Join Date
    24th September 04
    Location
    Victoria, BC Canada 48 25' 47.31"N 123 20' 4.59" W
    Posts
    4,099
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note of interest.

    The belt and buckle design use by Gaelic Themes, aka St. Kilda Group, was designed specifically for The Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs via Gaelic Themes.

    This design is under copyright to Gaelic Themes and it would be a copyright violation to reproduce this design even though you see people using it all the time. It may be the most copied crest design as you can pull images off the web with impunity.

    The X Marks Cap Badge and Crest uses the Gaelic Themes design with their kind permission.

    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

  8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:


  9. #16
    Join Date
    16th March 20
    Location
    Owego, NY
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk1961 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. My jeweler could also do it. But I think I prefer the authenticity and patina of the original material ... even if it isn't of the highest quality.
    I think you have a very high quality badge. But it is not made of expensive metal.

  10. #17
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    9,281
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post

    There's a wonky error in the design at lower right.

    The reality behind all the various metal badges is of a belt, buckled, with the end of the belt coming through the buckle and passing underneath the belt on the right, then coming upward on the reverse side, coming forward over the top, then going downward in front. The end of the belt can pass through the loop, or pass over top. The tip of the belt has an ornamental chape.

    On that X Marks badge the belt, after passing through the buckle, ENDS instead of passing round behind.

    If it ends there, where is the rest of it coming from?

    It's as if the jeweller didn't know the physical 3D reality of the thing.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 16th September 21 at 05:14 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0