X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make my berets in crochet as I find it is sturdier than knitting without doing all that much felting. I actually like to see the ring formation - the stitches are not visible.
    Are you sure that 12 and 1/2 inches will be large enough?
    That is the sort of size mine are after felting, with the head hole 22 and 3/4 inches and that covers one ear completely but with the other side of the top disc just to the top of my ear.
    I suspect that you want something a bit larger.

I can see if I have a photo.

Anne the Pleater.

I found a photo - that beret is slightly smaller - 12 and 1/4 inches and not felted so the texture is a bit more obvious - I'm sure I have some photos of a grey version - I might even have some of the grey ones around, I made a dozen and only 9 were needed, so I can let you have one to see if the size you think you need will be large enough.
    Last edited by Pleater; 12th September 21 at 03:10 PM.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I make my berets in crochet as I find it is sturdier than knitting without doing all that much felting. I actually like to see the ring formation - the stitches are not visible.
    Are you sure that 12 and 1/2 inches will be large enough?
    That is the sort of size mine are after felting, with the head hole 22 and 3/4 inches and that covers one ear completely but with the other side of the top disc just to the top of my ear.
    I suspect that you want something a bit larger.

I can see if I have a photo.

Anne the Pleater.

I found a photo - that beret is slightly smaller - 12 and 1/4 inches and not felted so the texture is a bit more obvious - I'm sure I have some photos of a grey version - I might even have some of the grey ones around, I made a dozen and only 9 were needed, so I can let you have one to see if the size you think you need will be large enough.
    What a generous offer! That's very kind of you.

No, I don't know what the right size will be. I know that my 9" is way too small, and that my head circumference is 22". Other than that I have no idea what the right size will be. GSMACLEOD has very generously offered to make one for me, and I took him up on it. Of course that will take some time.

I find it amazing that the posters on this board are so generous. You guys are some wonderful people!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoE View Post
    What a generous offer! That's very kind of you.

No, I don't know what the right size will be. I know that my 9" is way too small, and that my head circumference is 22". Other than that I have no idea what the right size will be. GSMACLEOD has very generously offered to make one for me, and I took him up on it. Of course that will take some time.

I find it amazing that the posters on this board are so generous. You guys are some wonderful people!
    I think that I made a couple of the grey berets with a cord around the rim so they could be adjusted - I just can't remember what I did with the spare ones. If they turn up in the near future I can send you one to check your size - I have loads in all colours - some to wear with badges and others without.
    I can't run to cashmere though - I have used it making things for other people, back when it was high quality. These days a really good lambswool can outdo what is called cashmere.

Anne the Pleater

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good Anne. If you run across one, sure, let me know. I'll PM you my address.

My step-father has a full length cashmere coat that was passed down from his grandfather. It's an heirloom piece. Softest wool I could ever imagine. One can't get coats like that anymore. I've purchased two myself from modern times, but they're not even close.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12