X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like my new dubh?

Okay, bad pun, but I'm excited to receive this new sgian dubh I ordered today. Will probably take a couple weeks to cross the pond, and is headed to my home in Ohio, so it'll be until the end of the month or beginning of the next before I hold it in my hands. But, I love that it's full tang with a bog oak handle. Comes with a wet formed leather sheath. I'll post more pics when I receive it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good!

Beautiful new dubh! I recently received a new dubh as well, also with the Damascus blade from OberusArmory on Etsy. The handle was slightly longer than i preferred for sitting in my hose, but still a beauty. Yours looks great! Hope it fits the hose well
    Screenshot_20210910-153659_Etsy.jpg
    Last edited by Drew Coupar; 10th September 21 at 03:42 PM. Reason: trying to attach a photo

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Drew Coupar For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Coupar View Post
    Beautiful new dubh! I recently received a new dubh as well, also with the Damascus blade from OberusArmory on Etsy. The handle was slightly longer than i preferred for sitting in my hose, but still a beauty. Yours looks great! Hope it fits the hose well
    That looks great! I got mine from SgianAlba on Etsy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice! I was intrigued enough to check out the Etsy store.

I’ll be curious to see more photos from different angles when it arrives, and to read a review after you’ve had a chance to wear/use it. I’m particularly interested in the thickness of the handle and how it rides on your leg.

I once commissioned a full tang sgian dubh (African Blackwood, red and black liners, mosaic pins, etc.). It came out looking exactly like the sketch I’d provided the maker, and it’s a beauty. That said, I’ve never carried it in my hose top because it weighs a metric ton!

I hope you don’t have a similar experience.

Looking forward to hearing about and seeing more of your new blade!

Cheers,

SM

P.S. I just realized we’re practically neighbors… I’m in Cypress (and my dad lives in Tomball).
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 10th September 21 at 09:13 PM.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    Looks nice! I was intrigued enough to check out the Etsy store.

I’ll be curious to see more photos from different angles when it arrives, and to read a review after you’ve had a chance to wear/use it. I’m particularly interested in the thickness of the handle and how it rides on your leg.

I once commissioned a full tang sgian dubh (African Blackwood, red and black liners, mosaic pins, etc.). It came out looking exactly like the sketch I’d provided the maker, and it’s a beauty. That said, I’ve never carried it in my hose top because it weighs a metric ton!

I hope you don’t have a similar experience.

Looking forward to hearing about and seeing more of your new blade!

Cheers,

SM

P.S. I just realized we’re practically neighbors… I’m in Cypress (and my dad lives in Tomball).
    That's a beautiful piece too. I honestly didn't think too much about the weight from the full tang when I ordered it. I was glad that it didn't have a metal bolster for that reason. The listing has the handle at 25mm thick. I guess we'll see.

You're right down the road. I lived in Cypress for years before moving here. Alas, I'm moving out of state in a couple weeks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm finally getting around to posting pics. The sgian arrived safe and sound from Scotland and is a beauty. It feels great in my hand and was sharpened prior to shipping. Should I ever get in a fight with some paper, I'm golden!

It's a bit bigger and heavier than a normal dubh. Comes in at 5.7oz with a total length of 7 3/4". The sheath is just over an ounce bringing total weight to 6.8oz. The blade length is 3.5" and the ancient bog oak handle is 3/4" thick. Sits in the hose okay, though, and doesn't seem like it's going to cause any problems. Haven't spent any time kilted (damn quarantine 30!) so it'll be a bit until I get a chance to wear it for a long period of time. I'm completely happy with this purchase.

Last edited by 12stones; 21st October 21 at 10:00 AM.

9. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to 12stones For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting sgian dubh. It looks great, I'm glad you like it.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the full-tang, slab + scales construction - very practical. Is that from Sgian Alba on Etsy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    I like the full-tang, slab + scales construction - very practical. Is that from Sgian Alba on Etsy?
    It is. He was great to work with.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to 12stones For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
    It is. He was great to work with.
    Excellent. I watch his shop regularly, and will probably buy my first Sgian Dubh from him.

I particularly enjoy that he makes knives with steels that are worth a damn. 01 is great stuff!

Being a knife nerd, it's hard seeing all these beautiful sgian dubhs with generic stainless steel, or "Damascus" which is no more than mild Pakistani steel with some acid etching - talk about putting lipstick on a horse! There's simply no way I'd ever pay $200 for a knife which wasn't intended to be used.

Please do let us know how you get on the the new knife - it's certainly a looker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast