X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us hope the matter is sorted out amicably Peter. Purely out of interest, nothing more, is there an avenue to appeal the decision?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Let us hope the matter is sorted out amicably Peter. Purely out of interest, nothing more, is there an avenue to appeal the decision?
    Jock,

I not sure I follow, unless you mean the descision to register the Krichel tartan?

This is where the normal appeal/amendment process would apply – Section of the Act Scottish Register of Tartans Act 2008 (legislation.gov.uk)

So someone (can be anyone!) would need send the SRT a letter/email which includes details of what amendment (so in this case the design to be changed or removed) they would like to take place which would then be shared with the registrant of the a particular tartan. They would then be given an opportunity to respond and the Keeper would make a decision on what happens with it.

Key to any successful challenge is evidence of use at an earlier date, not just hearsay.

This process is a revision to the original interpretation of the Act by the SRT where they would only consider tartans actually registered with them. In effect, if it wasn’t registered, it didn’t exist in their eyes. This was patent nonsense but it took me quite some time to see the light and understand that, whilst the SRT has no legal standing in terms of protection, they could not knowingly register a design that already exist whether it was on the register or not.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Peter for that. Yes, the thought did occur to me that the type of discussion demonstrated here ahead of my theoretical question might/could eventually lead to difficulties for certain parties and my mind wandered ahead to possible future events that hopefully will not happen.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 19th September 21 at 01:07 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, Jock and KD. Please keep us posted on this. Fascinating issue and fine grist for mills of the future on this and other forums.

KD, you might want to update your e-mail address with XMarks admin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to see how this turns out as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12