X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

I personally would not recommend poly-viscose for a kilt. Not even for a first go. Not if your goal is to learn how to make a wool kilt. Why? Because the fabric is -so- different from wool. It's so different in fact, that you think you might learn how to make a kilt the wrong way, at least when you try the lessons learned from PV on wool.

My opinion isn't worth much because I'm new to this myself, and I don't know how to stitch. So please take what I say with a grain of salt.

But I will say, if allowed, they are nothing alike. Trying to get a stitch or brooch pin through wool - no problem. Trying to get a stitch or brooch pin through the same thickness of PV - watch the pin bend. The PV is much tougher, harder. Completely different feel.

I personally would just choose the cheapest real wool fabric you could find for your first attempt. Real 13oz or 16oz wool - maybe a tartan you don't want, maybe not even a tartan at all. The difference in cost will be negligible between the two, unless you're going after top-of-the-line wool.

Just my opinion. Which as I mentioned, doesn't count for much. But I've owned both.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to LoE For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12