X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

I personally would not recommend poly-viscose for a kilt. Not even for a first go. Not if your goal is to learn how to make a wool kilt. Why? Because the fabric is -so- different from wool. It's so different in fact, that you think you might learn how to make a kilt the wrong way, at least when you try the lessons learned from PV on wool.

My opinion isn't worth much because I'm new to this myself, and I don't know how to stitch. So please take what I say with a grain of salt.

But I will say, if allowed, they are nothing alike. Trying to get a stitch or brooch pin through wool - no problem. Trying to get a stitch or brooch pin through the same thickness of PV - watch the pin bend. The PV is much tougher, harder. Completely different feel.

I personally would just choose the cheapest real wool fabric you could find for your first attempt. Real 13oz or 16oz wool - maybe a tartan you don't want, maybe not even a tartan at all. The difference in cost will be negligible between the two, unless you're going after top-of-the-line wool.

Just my opinion. Which as I mentioned, doesn't count for much. But I've owned both.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to LoE For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12