X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Designing a Kilted 'Uniform' for Masons Function

To start, I'm deep in the Scottish Rite of Chicago, a Masonic group that does theater festivals and similar events. They're NOT Scottish, the name is actually from the folklore of the plays depicted. However, we embrace it generally. We voted on Stewart Black as our regional tartan specifically because it was easy to buy anywhere, reopening from lockdown it's popping up on a lot of ties and a few folks got kilts.

Starting in November, I'm taking a permanent position as the 'class marshall' who runs orientation for new members throughout the day of the festival. I'm leaving an elected office in May, and am looking forward to being a bit less buttoned up, so I'll be using my Prince Charlie rig and a Black Stewart kilt as the foundation of my new tour guide look. It CAN be a bit more contemporary and not necessarily historical, but it needs to look SHARP.

Components thus far...
    Kilt-USA Kilts
    Prince Charlie
    5 button vest from my Argyle, prefer it to the PC vest
    French cuff shirt, cufflinks TBD but small
    Black bow tie
    Claret (red) hose with black flashes
    Oxford shoes

Things I need to look into:
    Silver pocket watch in vest pocket, chain visible
    Gold cufflinks, or match to the buttons?
    Kilt pin. This can be ANYTHING, but I'm looking for something classy and possibly more modern looking. Could be organizational, could be an abstract design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the kilt pin- I remember looking at on online over and over as I thought it was cool. It was basically an obelisk. It unique and brought to mind things masonic.

I'll see if I can fond it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that was quick. And possibly disappointing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1550678259KP163-png.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	40641

While the shape says 'stone mason' to me- the material? Not so much. It pay provide some inspiration at least.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2 cents, a PC rig is not appropriate for what you are describing, it would be a much better look using an Argyll jacket and waistcoat. If you are set on the PC then wear the waistcoat that goes with it, don't mix and match. For the cuff links I have a collection of them and I wear whichever I feel like on the day, as a rule for formal wear, ie wearing a PC I would say wear a pair that match the rest of the metal so silver would be my choice, for the same reason I would choose a silver kilt pin. On that front why not go for a custom commission? Here is Islay Spaulding's webpage where you can design and commission your own unique kilt pin:

http://www.islayspalding.co.uk/buykiltpin.htm

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sage advice from Glen, no surprise. Wear the black vest and Argyle with a grey/silver tie as morningwear--this will fit the bill as "very sharp during the day". The black bow tie, like the Prince Charlie coatee, is eveningwear.

One other suggestion for your outfit--I am an eternal proponent of diced or Argyle hose for morningwear as well as eveningwear. These can be found at the Scottish tartans museum website:
    https://scottishtartansgiftshop.com/...iced-full-hose
    Both red/white and red/black would be brilliant with the outfit you describe. These hose are expensive but well worth the impact they add to morningwear and eveningwear in my opinion.
    Last edited by RichardtheLarge; 15th September 21 at 12:51 PM.