X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glengarry pattern?

Does anyone have, or know where can be found, a pattern for a glengarry bonnet?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No familiarity with the pattern or pattern maker, but there's this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5694852...p-19th-century

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recon1342 View Post
    Does anyone have, or know where can be found, a pattern for a glengarry bonnet?
    I'm guessing that by "pattern" you mean a pattern like for making a shirt or jacket, giving the shapes of the various pieces of fabric that are cut out of fabric yardage and sewn together to create the garment.

Thing is, Balmorals and Glengarries aren't made like that. There are no seams because the hat is knit in one piece.

So a "pattern" in the sense of a Butterick or McCall's pattern cannot exist.

There is a newer type of bonnet, invented during World War One, the army dubbed the Tam O'Shanter, that is cut out of fabric yardage and sewn together. It's made from the same cloth the military wool serge jackets are made of.

Here's a newspaper article announcing its introduction. (The article calls the new hats "Balmorals" but as far as I know the army has always called them Tam O'Shanters. Also the tourie or pompom is missing.)

I have seen inexpensive crude-looking imitation Glengarries cut from cloth yardage, made in Pakistan, sold at Highland Games and in tat shops on The Royal Mile.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th September 21 at 11:11 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I'm guessing that by "pattern" you mean a pattern like for making a shirt or jacket, giving the shapes of the various pieces of fabric that are cut out of fabric yardage and sewn together to create the garment.

Thing is, Balmorals and Glengarries aren't made like that. There are no seams because the hat is knit in one piece.

So a "pattern" in the sense of a Butterick or McCall's pattern cannot exist.

There is a newer type of bonnet, invented during World War One, the army dubbed the Tam O'Shanter, that is cut out of fabric yardage and sewn together. It's made from the same cloth the military wool serge jackets are made of.

Here's a newspaper article announcing its introduction. (The article calls the new hats "Balmorals" but as far as I know the army has always called them Tam O'Shanters. Also the tourie or pompom is missing.)

I have seen inexpensive crude-looking imitation Glengarries cut from cloth yardage, made in Pakistan, sold at Highland Games and in tat shops on The Royal Mile.

Fantastic! I had no idea they were woven. I figured it was somewhat akin to the USMC’s “fore and aft” cap…

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've knit several balmorals as it's a pretty simple pattern and then felting to get the final result.

I've thought about trying a Glengarry but I haven't seen a good pattern and I'm not sure I'd wear one even if it turned out. I did see one pattern but it was crocheted and, IMO, didn't look great.

Shane

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post: