Many years ago, when my Dad and I were in an Irish pipe band, we both got commercial "plastic" sgain dubhs with the faceted stone. They haven't fared particularly well over the years - the trim has tarnished and the stone in mine is chipped. They have a sentimental value for me, though, because they're a part of my childhood (and my Dad is no longer with us).

So I was thinking that I might try to customize one of them (probably mine, with the broken stone) into a custom sgain dubh. I haven't decided what I would do for a handle - either wood or bone - but it would be "mine".

So here's my question: Has anyone ever taken one apart? Are they something that can be worked with?

The blades are marked "John Nowill & Sons" from Sheffield. I don't know if they're decent knife makers or not -- or what I might find inside the plastic handle. If they have short or non-existent tangs, for example, that would make adding a new handle difficult then I probably won't ruin it by taking it apart. I'm just not sure what I might discover!

If anyone has any experience with these particular knives - or enough general experience with others that you feel like there's a pretty good basis for an opinion - I'd be happy to hear them! This might be my winter project.

Thanks!!