X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Customizing a commercial sgian dubh?

Many years ago, when my Dad and I were in an Irish pipe band, we both got commercial "plastic" sgain dubhs with the faceted stone. They haven't fared particularly well over the years - the trim has tarnished and the stone in mine is chipped. They have a sentimental value for me, though, because they're a part of my childhood (and my Dad is no longer with us).

So I was thinking that I might try to customize one of them (probably mine, with the broken stone) into a custom sgain dubh. I haven't decided what I would do for a handle - either wood or bone - but it would be "mine".

So here's my question: Has anyone ever taken one apart? Are they something that can be worked with?

The blades are marked "John Nowill & Sons" from Sheffield. I don't know if they're decent knife makers or not -- or what I might find inside the plastic handle. If they have short or non-existent tangs, for example, that would make adding a new handle difficult then I probably won't ruin it by taking it apart. I'm just not sure what I might discover!

If anyone has any experience with these particular knives - or enough general experience with others that you feel like there's a pretty good basis for an opinion - I'd be happy to hear them! This might be my winter project.

Thanks!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John Nowill & Sons Ltd have been cutlers since the late 1600s, getting formal recognition from the guild in 1700. The company has gone through many generations, and was limited in 1927.

Sheffield steel is still considered highly desirable, and the Nowill name can be taken as a mark of quality.

The quality is in the steel of the blade - not necessarily the construction or materials of the sgian as a whole, but it is unlikely a high quality blade will be used in a shoddy sgian.

The tang is likely to be about half the length of the blade, and tapering slightly, so it ought to be easy enough to dismantle the sgian you have, and remount the blade with a handle of your choice. There are several Scottish sgian makers who supply components, including ready-made tooled-leather sheaths, antler and wooden handle blanks.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s great to know…they seem like decent blades, but I know looks can be deceiving!

Hunting season is coming up…I’ll see if I can source my own antler before I start looking for other options.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Navy87Guy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did something similar recently. Bought a cheap blade for the nickel silver fittings and ss blade and made my own wood handle and sheath. Came out nice. Would probably buy a nicer full tang blade if I were to do it again. Saw another thread on making a blade on here recently as well, will definitely try in the future. Best of luck!

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...w-sgian-97324/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Customizing a commercial sgian duhb

I used to make sgians duhb and have more hand carved handles than I know what to do with. I can no longer make the blades due to age and ailments. If you can let me know what kind of pattern you want I'll see what I have and send you one for free. If the tang is too short you can solder on a piece of all thread. All my sgians were made with through tangs and fastened in place. with a nut. You can email me at bagpiper66@bellsouth.net
    Stickman (Ray).

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    I used to make sgians duhb and have more hand carved handles than I know what to do with. I can no longer make the blades due to age and ailments. If you can let me know what kind of pattern you want I'll see what I have and send you one for free. If the tang is too short you can solder on a piece of all thread. All my sgians were made with through tangs and fastened in place. with a nut. You can email me at bagpiper66@bellsouth.net
    Stickman (Ray).
    Thanks for the offer - and sorry for the delayed reply. For some reason, I didn’t see it!

Let me get into the project and get the old handle off to see what the tang looks like. I’m not very confident in my brazing skills, but I might give it a shot!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi navy guy, stickman again. If you braze extra length onto your heat treated blade don't forget to put a heat sink between the heat source and the blade. I lay my blades on a fire brick and put a heavy piece of steel over the blade and all but about a half inch of the tang. Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    Hi navy guy, stickman again. If you braze extra length onto your heat treated blade don't forget to put a heat sink between the heat source and the blade. I lay my blades on a fire brick and put a heavy piece of steel over the blade and all but about a half inch of the tang. Good luck
    See…you’re making me nervous again!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy87Guy View Post
    See…you’re making me nervous again!
    navy guy, stickman again, If you are unsure how to braze extra length to your blade send it to me and I will do it for you. If you call me at 919-661-7368 if no answer leave a message. I don't know how to put pictures on here. But I could send you some handle pictures to your email. also what is the main color in your kilt, I try to match a stone to the kilt. The only thing I will charge is shipping.
    stickman. Ray.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread really makes me happy. Here we have a guy looking to honour the memory of his father possibly making a connection with a guy coming out of ‘retirement’ to help out for no profit. I’ve been foolishly away from this forum for far too many years, and it would be logical to have come back and see that traffic was down and the community was diminished. But I don’t think it has. It has been refined. There may be fewer of us, but those that are her give a damn about the community and each other. This is a good place. I’m so fortunate to have come back. I kick myself for every leaving.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Paco500 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast