X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prince Charlie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prince Charlie

How long should a Prince Charlie jacket be?

I just received one. It appears a little longer than traditional. I probably got the chest a little too large. It is comfortable.
    The manufacturer followed the measurements.

The picture is a little sloppy. 242425557_4528295733925021_3335951609284457796_n.jpg

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly the length is not bad, it may be a wee bit large but I've seen worse. If it bothers you perhaps you could take it to a tailor and explain what you think needs done and get their opinion. Here is me in my PC and i think the length is close to what you have.

Here is a photo with 4 of us in formal wear, 3 wearing PC's. Notice the sleeve length on all of us:

It looks to me that the fly plaid is pulling that side down which is causing issues throughout. Also the ghillie brogues are tied in two different positions. I just noticed that the top of the kilt can be seen over the waistcoat I would say that the entire thing is probably a size too large, again take it a tailor to have it looked at but go to someone who has worked with Highland Wear before.
    Last edited by McMurdo; 21st September 21 at 11:26 AM.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be a bit too long but it's hard to tell as it seems your fly plaid is pulling everything down on your left hand side. I'd try it without the fly plaid and see how it sits then.

Your waistcoat does seem to be too long as you shouldn't see the top of your kilt above the buttons of the waistcoat. IIWY, I would look at shortening the body of the waist coat so the top button is above the top of your kilt.

Shane

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Modern, looser tailoring doesn't do well recreating older styles.
    I had to narrow and tighten the shoulders considerably on the jacket I made to go with kilts to get the right look - then, being female I abandoned it for a bolero to show off my lace.

The classic Prince Charlie should ideally be fitted during its construction, as it has fairly narrow upper sleeve and armhole, and shoulders with epaulettes used to support a fly plaid need to be close fitting so the jacket isn't pulled to one side.
    Worn without the plaid, it should stay level - but I have to agree with McMurdo and back up the advice to to to someone who is familiar with this very specific type of tailoring. If there is no one really local you might be better off leaving it as it is for the time being - in these unusual times, and waiting until you can travel to have fittings done as required.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,

The brooch and fly plaid are available. The brooch looks neat, but it is heavy. I doubt that I will wear them often. I am not sure how often I will wear the Prince Charlie. I probably should have gone with a 46" or 47" chest size. I read that British sizing is tight.

The kilt showing up above the waistcoat concerned me. I probably would not worry too much except for that. I usually see the opposite problem in pictures on the internet, where the shirt shows up between the waistcoat and the kilt. The kilt is 26" long and sits right below my rib cage or about 2-2 1/2" above the navel.

The kilt feels fine. I like them sitting at that point.

I was hesitant to post the picture because of some of the other "sloppiness" like the shoes, and bow tie were not quite right.

I am not sure about finding tailors in Austin, TX who are familiar with "Highland Dress", I will call around.

The waistcoat issue might have shown up with a 46" chest size, 44" would be too small. The back of the waist coat sits at the top of the kilt.

Honestly, I think that they made the sizing for someone with a big belly. That may have been true about 4 years ago. I have a little bit of a belly. I am about 195 lbs at 6' 2".

The picture has some sloppiness that would not do well in public.

242488097_4528295590591702_9126253777752104440_n (1).jpg
    Last edited by AustinDiver; 21st September 21 at 04:06 PM.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AustinDiver For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the second photo is a huge improvement, I would simply add a dress sporran.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I think the second photo is a huge improvement, I would simply add a dress sporran.
    Agreed; without the fly plaid, everything seems to be sitting much better!

Shane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that is much better.
    If there is no local expert then it really is going to be better to leave well enough alone, I think.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, It is a little loose, Prince Charlies are more British Military sizing traditionally. I compensated a little and should not have.

Even with a close fit, I do not think that the brooch is practical. It was too high up. It is too heavy. It looks cool.
    But still, the PC is unbuttoned, a heavy plaid/brooch will pull.

I will have to look to see if there are experienced highland attire tailors around Austin. People do own kilts, but not that many. Prince Charlie jackets are rare. Austin is not really a black tie type of town for the most part.

I could look if there are any piper communities and ask.

The jacket is made with 18oz barathea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDiver View Post
    Thanks, It is a little loose, Prince Charlies are more British Military sizing traditionally. I compensated a little and should not have.

Even with a close fit, I do not think that the brooch is practical. It was too high up. It is too heavy. It looks cool.
    But still, the PC is unbuttoned, a heavy plaid/brooch will pull.

I will have to look to see if there are experienced highland attire tailors around Austin. People do own kilts, but not that many. Prince Charlie jackets are rare. Austin is not really a black tie type of town for the most part.

I could look if there are any piper communities and ask.

The jacket is made with 18oz barathea.
    I know Texas is a big place, but I can't help but notice "Houston Traditional Kilt Makers" listed at the top of this forum page. Maybe they can help -- and even of you don't want to make a 3-hr drive, maybe they know of someone in the Austin area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast