X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy87Guy View Post
    Thanks for the information!

It seems appropriate for a Hamilton to work with a Stewart.
    I will third Anne Stewart. I've had two pairs of hose knit by her to match my two tweed kilt jackets and they're absolutely perfect! Her prices are more than reasonable for hand-knit hose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    The green ones are a custom knit from Anne Stewart Knitwear[/IMG]
    So I’ve contacted her and am on a waitlist to get my home done.

1. She is damn popular. I think it will be a good while before I get my order.
    2. Her prices are crazy- unless I’m missing something, she’s not charging anywhere near enough.
    3. She is absolutely delightful. Thank you for pointing me in her direction.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Paco500 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hose on the far right of that three-hose photo are amazing!

Well they're all amazing but I'm really drawn to those.

That SRU tartan is lovely.

I am reminded a bit of Cooper, due to the blue/green ground and lavender stripes.

BTW, I sometimes see kilt accessories which perhaps unknowingly use the distinctive Scotland rugby thistle, or a thistle akin to it.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 7th October 21 at 07:23 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    I will third Anne Stewart. I've had two pairs of hose knit by her to match my two tweed kilt jackets and they're absolutely perfect! Her prices are more than reasonable for hand-knit hose.
    I have seen your post of them on here and on Anne's facebook page. Would be great to see some pics with the kilt and jacket(s).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post

2. Her prices are crazy- unless I’m missing something, she’s not charging anywhere near enough.
    Agreed on all counts.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    The hose on the far right of that three-hose photo are amazing!

Well they're all amazing but I'm really drawn to those.

That SRU tartan is lovely.

I am reminded a bit of Cooper, due to the blue/green ground and lavender stripes.

BTW, I sometimes see kilt accessories which perhaps unknowingly use the distinctive Scotland rugby thistle, or a thistle akin to it.
    The green ones and the taupe ones (far right and middle in the photo) both use wool from Rowan's felted tweed range - https://knitrowan.com/products/felted-tweed - there are some great colours in this range for matching with kilts and I like that it isn't a uniform colour with flecks of white and blue etc. I think it's a good alternative to marled look.

My ambition level with the green ones to match them to the jacket (Heath Coffee tweed). With the taupe pair I was looking for something neutral but with a bit more about it than oatmeal and without being to earthy (as I have a dark brown harris tweed jacket) and I wear both with what I think is a fairly bright ancient red tartan (which I picked out with the diced tops) but wanted to tone down.

The SRU tartan was designed by Geoffrey (Tailor) in the 1990s but wasn't much used. These days they make more use of it when the Rugby World Cup rolls around every 4 years. With players being kilted to events and the kit has featured tartan panels at the last two outings in 2015 and 2019.

Slanj had the licence for kilts and other tartanwear until a couple of years ago and the current incumbent is Kinloch Anderson
    https://www.kinlochanderson.com/shop/scottish-rugby

There is also a SRU Harris Tweed - currently available from Slater Walker - in a similar pallet
    https://www.walkerslater.com/partner...sru-collection

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post

Your right about the pricing. From the prices I've seen, if she doubled them it still would be a fantastic deal. The quality looks amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love that tartan. Do you think it would be strange for someone not Scottish, but who likes rugby, to wear the SRU tartan?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    I love that tartan. Do you think it would be strange for someone not Scottish, but who likes rugby, to wear the SRU tartan?
    Not at all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    Not at all
    Thanks, I just didn’t want to misrepresent myself. Especially if I’m ever lucky enough to see a Scotland match live one day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast