X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post

The SRU tartan was designed by Geoffrey (Tailor) in the 1990s but wasn't much used. These days they make more use of it when the Rugby World Cup rolls around every 4 years. With players being kilted to events and the kit has featured tartan panels at the last two outings in 2015 and 2019.

Slanj had the licence for kilts and other tartanwear until a couple of years ago and the current incumbent is Kinloch Anderson
    https://www.kinlochanderson.com/shop/scottish-rugby

There is also a SRU Harris Tweed - currently available from Slater Walker - in a similar palette
    https://www.walkerslater.com/partner...sru-collection
    Thanks for the info! It's such a nice understated tartan, so different from the garish blue & purple kilts from the Royal Mile tat shops that so many rugby supporters wear.

About the Rugby itself, all we get in my area is the Sevens tournament which was held for several years in Las Vegas.

5 & 6 March 2022 USA Sevens will be held near Los Angeles, at DHSP stadium in Carson, new home of the Los Angeles Galaxy. I plan to be there supporting Scotland with my bagpipes!

I mentioned the kilt accessories that aren't advertised as being SRU, but to my eye have the distinctive asymmetrical SRU thistle. Here they are:

Last edited by OC Richard; 30th October 21 at 06:42 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    About the Rugby itself, all we get in my area is the Sevens tournament which was held for several years in Las Vegas.
    Good result today 60 - 14 win over Tonga.

Enjoy the 7s always a good time. Sadly the bagpipes are seen less and less at the internationals. They were banned inside the grounds at both RWC 2011 and 2015!!

I did try to swing Vegas for the 7s a few years ago. I used to head out to Dubia and Hong Kong for the 7s with a bunch guys (mainly ex-pats based in Geneva, plus a couple of local connections). About 3 or 4 of them are now state-side so it looked to be on the cards but somehow never came off. Rome for the 6 nations was an annual thing for about 5 years - but it's been a while. Although we still manage to make it to Twickers or Murrayfield every now and then.
    Last edited by Tomo; 5th January 22 at 01:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! It's such a nice understated tartan, so different from the garish blue & purple kilts from the Royal Mile tat shops that so many rugby supporters wear.

5 & 6 March 2022 USA Sevens will be held near Los Angeles, at DHSP stadium in Carson, new home of the Los Angeles Galaxy. I plan to be there supporting Scotland with my bagpipes!

I mentioned the kilt accessories that aren't advertised as being SRU, but to my eye have the distinctive asymmetrical SRU thistle. Here they are:

I wonder why there don’t seem to be any kilt accessories that are officially licensed by the SRU. I’ve checked the official SRU online shop and there is nothing. I wonder if there is not a market in Scotland for them? You would think there would be.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    I wonder why there don’t seem to be any kilt accessories that are officially licensed by the SRU. I’ve checked the official SRU online shop and there is nothing. I wonder if there is not a market in Scotland for them? You would think there would be.
    That is strange.

But don't those accessories look like the SRU logo? It's hard to imagine it's coincidence.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoy the 7s always a good time. Sadly the bagpipes are seen less and less at the internationals. They were banned inside the grounds at both RWC 2011 and 2015!!
    I made it out to the Vegas Sevens every year for several years, my pipes going whenever Scotland was playing.

I chatted online to the guy who coordinates the piping for Murrayfield who told be what tunes are to be played when, and I've stuck to that programme. I hope the players feel a bit at home when those tunes are played!

It's odd about Vegas Sevens, the supporters of most nations gather and sit together, but Scotland supporters tend to scatter themselves about the stadium.

One year the moment I struck up Flower Of Scotland they came from all quarters, gathered round, and sung loudly along with the pipes, it was super. Flasks of whisky appeared.

Rome for the 6 nations was an annual thing for about 5 years - but it's been a while. Although we still manage to make it to Twickers or Murrayfield every now and then.
    I'm envious! Only Vegas, and soon-to-be Carson, for me.

Last edited by OC Richard; 28th November 21 at 06:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are near LA, then you also have the Giltinis. They play in major league rugby. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LA_Giltinis
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely put together! Well done.
    DunRovinStation.blogspot.com (non-monetized or affiliated)
    Muir, MacKendrick-Henderson, Campbell, Clarke, Gordon, Cameron, Chattan,
    Galt, Euen, Slowan(Sloan), Tyndings, Ramsey, Stewart, MacAlistar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spotted this today on Facebook market place.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7-b4456fd14a79

SRU tartan kilt by Geoffrey (Tailor) - the original licencee - waist 38" to 40" £175 (located in Edinburgh).

I think someone mentioned they were looking out for one on another thread. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123