X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the term matching isn't always clear. Often when I saw something matches I don't necessary mean identical too - I mean really mean things that go together or work with each other - yes they could be identical colours (or near to it) but they could just as easily be complimentary colours or contrasting ones.

The thing about kilts (sorry for the lack of technical terminology) is that where the colours cross over from even a small difference they create a different visual impact than the individual colours. As Jock Scot has pointed out he often wears claret hose with his kilt but there is no claret in his tartan. However, wear the green and red cross it creates a darker tone than the actual red used and so the claret hose are a better match than a pair of bright red ones would be. Maybe this is not done entirely deliberately, but perhaps more intuitively or subconsciously.

Now I certainly put some though into what I wear with my kilts - but that's a personal choice - it's not driven by a need to conform to any specific rules (on kilt wearing or co-ordinating n outfit). I either feel it works or it doesn't.

With this outfit, I took a lead from the Duke of Rothesay's diced topped hose and as these are a custom job I specifically looked to use 2 of the colours in my kilt (ancient green and ancient green) - although to be fair I had seen a pair made up in these colours and thought "yep they'll do". Prior to that I typically wore plain coloured hose in ancient green or ancient blue. There is no grey in the kilt but the neutral charcoal jacket and vest compliment it fine. At a friend's wedding the black hose were not chosen to match the jacket but rather that I felt they were more formal than green or blue.

With this kilt, I feel the orange hue of the ancient red is quite loud (certainly for my taste) but by pairing this with a brown tweed it tones the whole thing down. In terms of the hose, whilst the dicing picks out the main field colour of the kilt, the hose themselves are more of taupe colour, which doesn't feature in either the jacket or the kilt but compliments both. I have also worn this kilt with the green and blue diced hose, which provide a bolder contrast.

Here the the jacket is a totally different shade of green, with an overcheck in brown and bottle green. The green in the kilt is more of an olive green - but there is a tonal quality between this and jacket so they compliment each other. The hose are oatmeal, a colour that does not appear in the kilt or jacket. The pale stipe in the kilt is actually yellow - but I think yellow hose would clash (even if they were identical to the colour used in the kilt as it is not one of the dominant colours).

However, I do have a pair of hose which I had made specifically to "match" the jacket, the idea was, in part, because this dark green kilt doesn't really go with my other hose (other than oatmeal - or maybe charcoal, which I don't have) and to give me a bit more variety, not because there is some rule, tradition or perception about matching ones hose to ones jacket. Here they are with a different kilt. Again the greens in the kilt are totally different to those in the jacket and hose.

Same kilt with different jacket, vest and hose - again none of these colours appear in the kilt (which is navy, green, lilac, white and black).

Last edited by Tomo; 15th October 21 at 01:23 AM.

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very dashing all, Tomo!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    Sorry about that - I guess I assumed the "@" mention would ping you. I'm not in any way, shape, or form meaning to criticize your outfits. Indeed, one of the main reasons I used you as an example is that I admire your style greatly and always appreciate when you post pictures. But @Jock Scott is not the first one I've seen post about a distaste for color matching. Unlike you guys, I don't feel I'm adept enough at putting together non-matching outfits to be able to just intuitively know how to do it or why you should, so it's helpful for me to know the reasoning behind it.
    I am not sure that I have a distaste for colours matching, its more subtle than that. I just think this matching idea is unnecessary and just makes hard work when getting dressed. It’s no big deal if things match and if you like things to match then carry on, but to obsess about it and to worry what others might think if the flashes match the tie , or don’t, for example, just baffles me and many Highlanders that I am acquainted with.

As an afterthought, I do much prefer, as do others here in the Highlands, the non matching ........less artificial if you like..... more natural look of the non matching of attire. Perhaps that is because we wear the kilt more often and I think more naturally than those outwith Scotland? We are after all surrounded by the “home team”.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 15th October 21 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Added an afterthought.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I just think this matching idea is unnecessary and just makes hard work when getting dressed.
    After watching several of these "matching or not" conversations over the years I have drawn this conclusion...

When it comes to what we call saxon attire around here "we outwith Scotland" don't think about it or don't make hard work of getting dressed. There are things we don't do, but we don't think about it. We don't wear pink socks with a gray business suit (unless we want to be thought quirky or eccentric). A blue blazer with khaki trousers (US Khaki - tan) is ok, but a green blazer isn't (unless you work in a golf pro shop). We don't put on olive green shorts and a hunter green tee. And when you throw the ubiquitous "jeans" into the mix, that pretty much implies zero "think" about what goes on the lower half.

Strap a kilt on us "new guys", with 3, 4, 5 colors, and our brains go...

So often-times we end up "playing it safe"... matching. As we get more comfortable, we think about it less.

And that's the view from my saddle.
    Tulach Ard

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silly me, I see no need for a sporran when wearing a vest with pockets to carry gear. More comfy and shows off more tartan.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    I think the term matching isn't always clear. Often when I saw something matches I don't necessary mean identical too - I mean really mean things that go together or work with each other - yes they could be identical colours (or near to it) but they could just as easily be complimentary colours or contrasting ones.

The thing about kilts (sorry for the lack of technical terminology) is that where the colours cross over from even a small difference they create a different visual impact than the individual colours. As Jock Scot has pointed out he often wears claret hose with his kilt but there is no claret in his tartan. However, wear the green and red cross it creates a darker tone than the actual red used and so the claret hose are a better match than a pair of bright red ones would be. Maybe this is not done entirely deliberately, but perhaps more intuitively or subconsciously.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacKenzie View Post
    And when you throw the ubiquitous "jeans" into the mix, that pretty much implies zero "think" about what goes on the lower half.

Strap a kilt on us "new guys", with 3, 4, 5 colors, and our brains go...

So often-times we end up "playing it safe"... matching. As we get more comfortable, we think about it less.

And that's the view from my saddle.
    I think you both bring up good points. I'm a jeans + t-shirt guy. "Color coordination" for me used to be "buy everything in black." Then it was "buy everything in green." Now it's "mostly earth tones," but lately I've been liking primary colors a bit more. Wearing kilts, and coordinating outfits composed of very colorful articles of clothing, has taught me a lot about color coordination in a short time.

Someone who's grown up wearing kilts, and has been coordinating tartans their whole lives, may think that subtle guidelines like "match the top and bottom," or "don't match all three," seem silly. For us jeans + t-shirt guys, these are helpful starting points until we learn what we're doing a bit better.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post

------------
    You credit me with far too much effort of thought! I have never noticed, I have never looked at the colour when the colours cross and it has never occurred to me to look at what happens when the green and red cross. So even a subconscious thought is not really likely, ------I, um, think?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th October 21 at 07:33 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I believe I've seen those vests on Amazon. I purchased one to try but it didn't suit. But it looks good on you. Doesn't interfere with the sporran either, which is a goal.

Guluck.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy87Guy View Post
    That's interesting...there was a photo and it showed up in the preview.

Let's try this again..

Attachment 40709

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, if one wished to go look at vintage Highland-wear, it would be clear that North Americans tend to have a matchy-matchy thing going on but Highland wear ... not so much.

The tie is a nice note -- however, if one is wearing a shirt without a tie-receptive collar ...

Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Looks like a nice vest! I think a few folks in the K&C group have them.

As a Californian, I definitely have a lot to learn about formality - I've worn sandals to a wedding before. Learning about highlandwear has certainly helped with this, but there's always room for improvement.

One rule I've picked up is not to wear a waistcoat without a tie. Once you start looking for it, you'll notice folks looking a bit naked without the necktie. In this case, your vest is clearly casual, and I wouldn't expect a tie. However, I'd encourage you to play around with the concept, especially when you move toward a more formal waistcoat.

On the subject of matching, one rule of thumb is to match your top with your bottom, with the kilt in the middle breaking it up. You'll see this in some hire outfits - i.e. lovat green hose, lovat green jacket, etc. Another rule of thumb is to ensure that no two of your big three areas match - top (jacket), middle (kilt), bottom (hose). Another great concept to play around with.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    Or, if one wished to go look at vintage Highland-wear, it would be clear that North Americans tend to have a matchy-matchy thing going on but Highland wear ... not so much.

The tie is a nice note -- however, if one is wearing a shirt without a tie-receptive collar ...
    You don't have to wear a tie with the kilt to be traditional. Like all attire, time and place is the critical guide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0974.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	40878

Name:	WP_20170806_13_31_07_Pro.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	40879

Name:	August. Sept 2012 039.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	40880
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 1st November 21 at 04:52 AM.

15. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast