X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying an updated Daywear approach...

This is a modern approach to daywear with a more contemporary cut jacket and waistcoat.
    I am quite happy with this styling.
    I'm sure the jacket may look a bit longish for some, but for a tall person like myself, it still works I think.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to be honest here. Yes the jacket is too long in my humble opinion and I am afraid it does you no favours. Sorry.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    You don't have to wear a tie with the kilt to be traditional. Like all attire, time and place is the critical guide.

Attachment 40878

Attachment 40879

Attachment 40880
    This is a point which can not be overstated. Time and place should be your guide. I can not tell you the number of times I have met someone at a highland games a pub or some other non formal gathering wearing a Prince Charlie simply because it is the only "kilt jacket" they have. It does a disservice to themselves and to the outfit. I think this outfit would pass muster with Jock, though not much thought went into it.

5. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinenotburn View Post
    This is a modern approach to daywear with a more contemporary cut jacket and waistcoat.
    I am quite happy with this styling.
    I'm sure the jacket may look a bit longish for some, but for a tall person like myself, it still works I think.

If you don't mind, I'd like to say that I think you could look really good but ... while the waistcoat could work (but is still a tad long), the jacket simply doesn't work at all. Those jackets are cut to be worn with a specific set of clothing -- none of which is a traditional kilt. I'd humbly suggest ditching the jacket.

Kilt on!

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    This is a point which can not be overstated. Time and place should be your guide. I can not tell you the number of times I have met someone at a highland games a pub or some other non formal gathering wearing a Prince Charlie simply because it is the only "kilt jacket" they have. It does a disservice to themselves and to the outfit. I think this outfit would pass muster with Jock, though not much thought went into it.

Glen, I saw the sign in the window and thought that's it been a while since you could get a cold brew for $2.50, but then I saw "Espresso" on the window below it!
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Macman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

response

I have to be honest here. Yes the jacket is too long in my humble opinion and I am afraid it does you no favours. Sorry.

Hello Jock , Sorry for the slow response, (Been away) In considering the replies here, I and looking at the photo I tend to agree. Perhaps I was too enamoured with the absolutely marvelous detail of this jacket. It is a beautiful hand woven Harris tweed with expert tailoring throughout. Even has an inner lining with a pattern of the Western Isles. Made in Scotland of course. I'll probably end up losing one of the special ticket pockets on the inside
    in the conversion but I think the hem could be adjusted easily enough to better suit wearing with a kilt . I might straighten the bottom of the waistcoat whilst I'm at it, but I do not mind the length of that, as it is.

Thanks for your feedback.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinenotburn View Post
    Hello Jock , Sorry for the slow response, (Been away) In considering the replies here, I and looking at the photo I tend to agree. Perhaps I was too enamoured with the absolutely marvelous detail of this jacket. It is a beautiful hand woven Harris tweed with expert tailoring throughout. Even has an inner lining with a pattern of the Western Isles. Made in Scotland of course. I'll probably end up losing one of the special ticket pockets on the inside
    in the conversion but I think the hem could be adjusted easily enough to better suit wearing with a kilt . I might straighten the bottom of the waistcoat whilst I'm at it, but I do not mind the length of that, as it is.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Your jacket is wonderful and looks fabulous and I'd hate to see it chopped up! While some jacket conversions can go well, I would humbly suggest not cutting up that sweet jacket and instead get a kilt jacket made.

Regards,
    J

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    Your jacket is wonderful and looks fabulous and I'd hate to see it chopped up! While some jacket conversions can go well, I would humbly suggest not cutting up that sweet jacket and instead get a kilt jacket made.

Regards,
    J
    I really think that the above is the best option.

To be absolutely frank, I think that cut down jackets really look to be exactly what they are, cut down jackets. The proportions are all wrong. On the other hand a kilt jacket made by someone who understands kilt attire proportions would be just the job. Alright, cut down jackets used as a stop gap are fine for getting you by, but............
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd November 21 at 09:23 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

15. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rally think this is the best option.

To be absolutely frank, I think that cut down jackets really look to be exactly what they are, cut down jackets. The proportions are all wrong. On the other hand a kilt jacket made by someone who understands kilt attire proportions would be just the job. Alright, cut down jackets used as a stop gap are fine for getting you by, but............
    Exactly. There are a number of talented folks to help either make you one or for you to purchase.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey now, those are fantastic outfits. Thank you for sharing the inspiration.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    I think the term matching isn't always clear. Often when I saw something matches I don't necessary mean identical too - I mean really mean things that go together or work with each other - yes they could be identical colours (or near to it) but they could just as easily be complimentary colours or contrasting ones.

The thing about kilts (sorry for the lack of technical terminology) is that where the colours cross over from even a small difference they create a different visual impact than the individual colours. As Jock Scot has pointed out he often wears claret hose with his kilt but there is no claret in his tartan. However, wear the green and red cross it creates a darker tone than the actual red used and so the claret hose are a better match than a pair of bright red ones would be. Maybe this is not done entirely deliberately, but perhaps more intuitively or subconsciously.

Now I certainly put some though into what I wear with my kilts - but that's a personal choice - it's not driven by a need to conform to any specific rules (on kilt wearing or co-ordinating n outfit). I either feel it works or it doesn't.

With this outfit, I took a lead from the Duke of Rothesay's diced topped hose and as these are a custom job I specifically looked to use 2 of the colours in my kilt (ancient green and ancient green) - although to be fair I had seen a pair made up in these colours and thought "yep they'll do". Prior to that I typically wore plain coloured hose in ancient green or ancient blue. There is no grey in the kilt but the neutral charcoal jacket and vest compliment it fine. At a friend's wedding the black hose were not chosen to match the jacket but rather that I felt they were more formal than green or blue.

With this kilt, I feel the orange hue of the ancient red is quite loud (certainly for my taste) but by pairing this with a brown tweed it tones the whole thing down. In terms of the hose, whilst the dicing picks out the main field colour of the kilt, the hose themselves are more of taupe colour, which doesn't feature in either the jacket or the kilt but compliments both. I have also worn this kilt with the green and blue diced hose, which provide a bolder contrast.

Here the the jacket is a totally different shade of green, with an overcheck in brown and bottle green. The green in the kilt is more of an olive green - but there is a tonal quality between this and jacket so they compliment each other. The hose are oatmeal, a colour that does not appear in the kilt or jacket. The pale stipe in the kilt is actually yellow - but I think yellow hose would clash (even if they were identical to the colour used in the kilt as it is not one of the dominant colours).

However, I do have a pair of hose which I had made specifically to "match" the jacket, the idea was, in part, because this dark green kilt doesn't really go with my other hose (other than oatmeal - or maybe charcoal, which I don't have) and to give me a bit more variety, not because there is some rule, tradition or perception about matching ones hose to ones jacket. Here they are with a different kilt. Again the greens in the kilt are totally different to those in the jacket and hose.

Same kilt with different jacket, vest and hose - again none of these colours appear in the kilt (which is navy, green, lilac, white and black).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345