X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying Something New

I’m doing some experimentation to get some ideas of “looks” that I like. I picked up an inexpensive vest (it’s not a true waistcoat) for casual occasions. It’s a little long. I would like to find some lighter gray kilt hose to match the vet a little more closely, but I think it’s a start!

Once I narrow it down, I’ll invest in some authentic kit!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what you mean by the vest not being a true waistcoat. Those are synonyms, one just more popular on each side of the Atlantic.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you mean to post a picture?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    Did you mean to post a picture?
    That's interesting...there was a photo and it showed up in the preview.

Let's try this again..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Vest.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	40709

6. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Navy87Guy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I believe I've seen those vests on Amazon. I purchased one to try but it didn't suit. But it looks good on you. Doesn't interfere with the sporran either, which is a goal.

Guluck.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy87Guy View Post
    That's interesting...there was a photo and it showed up in the preview.

Let's try this again..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Vest.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	40709

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy87Guy View Post
    I’m doing some experimentation to get some ideas of “looks” that I like. I picked up an inexpensive vest (it’s not a true waistcoat) for casual occasions. It’s a little long. I would like to find some lighter gray kilt hose to match the vet a little more closely, but I think it’s a start!

Once I narrow it down, I’ll invest in some authentic kit!
    Looks like a nice vest! I think a few folks in the K&C group have them.

As a Californian, I definitely have a lot to learn about formality - I've worn sandals to a wedding before. Learning about highlandwear has certainly helped with this, but there's always room for improvement.

One rule I've picked up is not to wear a waistcoat without a tie. Once you start looking for it, you'll notice folks looking a bit naked without the necktie. In this case, your vest is clearly casual, and I wouldn't expect a tie. However, I'd encourage you to play around with the concept, especially when you move toward a more formal waistcoat.

On the subject of matching, one rule of thumb is to match your top with your bottom, with the kilt in the middle breaking it up. You'll see this in some hire outfits - i.e. lovat green hose, lovat green jacket, etc. Another rule of thumb is to ensure that no two of your big three areas match - top (jacket), middle (kilt), bottom (hose). Another great concept to play around with.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Looks like a nice vest! I think a few folks in the K&C group have them.

As a Californian, I definitely have a lot to learn about formality - I've worn sandals to a wedding before. Learning about highlandwear has certainly helped with this, but there's always room for improvement.

One rule I've picked up is not to wear a waistcoat without a tie. Once you start looking for it, you'll notice folks looking a bit naked without the necktie. In this case, your vest is clearly casual, and I wouldn't expect a tie. However, I'd encourage you to play around with the concept, especially when you move toward a more formal waistcoat.

On the subject of matching, one rule of thumb is to match your top with your bottom, with the kilt in the middle breaking it up. You'll see this in some hire outfits - i.e. lovat green hose, lovat green jacket, etc. Another rule of thumb is to ensure that no two of your big three areas match - top (jacket), middle (kilt), bottom (hose). Another great concept to play around with.
    Thanks - that’s helpful advice!

In full disclosure, we had just gotten back from a Renaissance faire and the vest had arrived. I threw it on with a shirt…but I have a black tie that I would plan to wear with it! 😉

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Navy87Guy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? I must confess that I have never heard that before. Where does that idea come from? The concept does not appeal as it shows that far too much thought and effort goes into the process of wearing the kilt and its accompanying attire and that is far from the traditional way of doing things. Which is, if colours match with one’s kilt attire then its by accident rather than design.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Really? I must confess that I have never heard that before. Where does that idea come from? The concept does not appeal as it shows that far too much thought and effort goes into the process of wearing the kilt and its accompanying attire and that is far from the traditional way of doing things. Which is, if colours match with one’s kilt attire then its by accident rather than design.
    The first idea comes from the kilt companies who produce hose which match jackets.

The second I picked up here on the forum. ;)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first idea comes from the kilt companies who produce hose which match jackets.

The second I picked up here on the forum. ;)
    I must say I really am unaware of the first idea and sounds terribly artificial.

As to the second idea, you are not wrong and I fear that it’s been interpreted over time, by many on this website, to what you say it is. It is true that the traditional end result is that the intention is that nothing should match, what has been lost overtime here is that no effort or thought is used whilst achieving that. Should a match occur then no one worries too much.

When I see a picture of myself wearing the kilt I am quite often surprised at my colour choices as I give no conscious thought about them when I put them on! Also, depending on one’s tartan this idea of matching one’s hose, or shirt, or tie to the yellow stripe, for example, of one’s tartan is never a conscious thought. Actually with my tartan, MacLeod of Harris, with its five colours it is very difficult not to end up with something matching. So, why stress over it? Rules? Well, well not really it’s more subtle than that. Intentions? Oh yes, for sure.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 7th October 21 at 11:22 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

16. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast