X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello From Northern Ontario, Canada

Hi, everyone.

Now that I'm retired, I'm finally going to embrace my inner Scot. I have two pieces of material in transit from Scotland. One is MacKay Modern 16 oz wool from House of Edgar. The other is Black Watch Modern 13 oz polyviscose (the closest match I could find in PV to the MacKay Modern).

My plan is to make the PV kilt first, as the material is less expensive and this will be my first kilt. I know that PV may not be very forgiving for a newbie, but I'm not in a rush and will take my time and work carefully through the project. In fact I'm not much of a sewer at all so this is going to be a challenge. I'm fairly good with my hands and I can read and follow instructions. I have Barb's book (TAoK) in hand and read most of it before ordering any materials. I've been lurking here and watching Robert MacDonald's YouTube channel and sponging up as much info as I can.

While I wait for the fabric to arrive I've been working on some of the bits.

Step one was make a sporran for myself and a matching purse for my wife.

Step two was to make some kilt straps.

Now I'm back to reading TAoK and trying to absorb as much info as I can from the web before the fabric arrives.

I have my leather cut for my kilt belt, but I'm going to hold on making that until both kilts are done. Let's just say my figure is "sub-optimal" so the fitting is going to be a bit of a challenge. :-)

Looking forward to getting to know the members of this forum in the weeks ahead.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Frozen For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum from Calgary!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from Toronto, it sounds like you are taking on a lot of work. I look forward to hearing about your progress. The Sporran looks great by the way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!

From one old leather-worker to another - great work!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! I look forward to watching your progress - please share pictures of your work as you go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    from Toronto, it sounds like you are taking on a lot of work. I look forward to hearing about your progress. The Sporran looks great by the way.
    Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

It seems I have a lot of time on my hands these days, so taking on a couple of kilts is just what I need. My plan is to only purchase what I'm not able to make for myself and my only deadline is my own mortal thread in the weaver's loom.

I also "made" my sgian dubh. It's not as ornate as many of the purchased ones, but it has a lot of significance to me personally. The blade is one that my Dad gave me for my fishing tackle box when I was around 8 years old. I removed the original handle, added a brass tang then fashioned a new handle from ebony with the same Celtic design as my sporran.

As an aside, carving ebony was enough to convince me never to do it again. Fine ebony sawdust is like graphite and it gets everywhere!

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Frozen For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in the English midlands.
    Very impressed with your sporran. Look forward to seeing more of your creations.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

It seems I have a lot of time on my hands these days, so taking on a couple of kilts is just what I need. My plan is to only purchase what I'm not able to make for myself and my only deadline is my own mortal thread in the weaver's loom.

I also "made" my sgian dubh. It's not as ornate as many of the purchased ones, but it has a lot of significance to me personally. The blade is one that my Dad gave me for my fishing tackle box when I was around 8 years old. I removed the original handle, added a brass tang then fashioned a new handle from ebony with the same Celtic design as my sporran.

As an aside, carving ebony was enough to convince me never to do it again. Fine ebony sawdust is like graphite and it gets everywhere!

That is one beautiful sgian dubh!
    I've also carved ebony but I finally broke down and switched to using a Dremel.
    Something about being finished before I shuffle off my mortal coil ...
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Grump is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Mount Brydges Ontario. Enjoy retirement!
    Piping Is Life!....The rest doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Michigan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast