X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loud tweeds

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loud tweeds

I was reading Richards thread on his new jacket here:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-argyll-97345/

It got me to thinking about loud tweeds, I have dabbled in louder than average tweeds before and thought instead of hijacking that thread I would start my own. So let's talk tweed Argyll jackets, what are your favourite tweeds on the louder side of things? A blue or green Lovat is a classic there is no doubt about that, I have both in my wardrobe, but what about a busier tweed or even a tartan jacket, which is your fav and would you post a photo?

I'll start with the Burns Check Argyll that I was lucky enough to find on eBay some years ago:

This photo below happens to be one of my favourite photos of me in Highland wear, this was taken at the Cambridge Ontario Highland Games years ago, I was there with my friend Nathan. They used this photo in the local newspaper and it was blown up very large indeed.

I absolutely love this jacket, it works well in the fall into the winter, not so great for the summer months as the tweed is thick but it does keep you warm in the elements and it makes a statement. I think it took me a while to gain the confidence to wear an Argyll with such a bold scheme but once I did it was liberating. I will say this is not everyone's cup of tea and it would not work as your only jacket, but if you have a collection, a bold tweed does have it's place.
    Last edited by McMurdo; 10th October 21 at 02:43 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both are obviously to your choice, Glenn, and wonderfully in keeping with all else you are wearing, including your two kilts.

I wonder, however, if you selected them such as they would contrast with your kilt?

I'm having a hard time to express how I feel about this, but:

a) I find the 'loud' value diminishing the tartan;
    b) I wonder at the 'loud' value making a statement;'
    c) I question the 'statement' becoming an accepted value.

In Highland culture we tend to more adopt what one wears as acceptable, without question.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Both are obviously to your choice, Glenn, and wonderfully in keeping with all else you are wearing, including your two kilts.

I wonder, however, if you selected them such as they would contrast with your kilt?

I'm having a hard time to express how I feel about this, but:

a) I find the 'loud' value diminishing the tartan;
    b) I wonder at the 'loud' value making a statement;'
    c) I question the 'statement' becoming an accepted value.

In Highland culture we tend to more adopt what one wears as acceptable, without question.
    I quite agree Rex, it is difficult to put into words what needs to be said and what you have said above is an exceedingly good attempt.

I love tweed and in the right context, I love loud tweed. I have spent much of my life surrounded by tweed, but it did not take me long to work out that some tweeds, particularly loud tweeds, do not mesh well with tartan. There are one or two rare exceptions though, but in my experience they are few.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I quite agree Rex, it is difficult to put into words what needs to be said and what you have said above is an exceedingly good attempt.

I love tweed and in the right context, I love loud tweed. I have spent much of my life surrounded by tweed, but it did not take me long to work out that some tweeds, particularly loud tweeds, do not mesh well with tartan. There are one or two rare exceptions though, but in my experience they are few.
    Once again, we agree and understand. Tweeds, as we know them, are our country life -- and are appropriate to our life-style.

We live with tartans, too -- generally speaking, Clan-related, but sometimes regional -- not the same. ?

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes absolutely, not the same. On reflection, I think "Estate Tweeds" are sometimes as jealously guarded----if not more so ------than Clan tartans.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 10th October 21 at 01:42 AM. Reason: added an afterthought.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only got one louder tweed but I really enjoy it on some occasions.

IMG_20201023_170102.jpg

Shane

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    I've only got one louder tweed but I really enjoy it on some occasions.

IMG_20201023_170102.jpg

Shane
    To my eye that hardly registers as loud, or even louder!

But, the tweed does detract from the tartan. The tartan is, or, should be the centre of attention and your tweed and OCR's tweed interrupt the view.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 10th October 21 at 07:28 AM.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But, the tweed does detract from the tartan. The tartan is, or, should be the centre of attention and your tweed and OCR's tweed interrupt the view.
    Jock,

That is an interesting point and is why I tend to wear lovats and brown with this kilt. I find with how dark the colours are, everything tends to blend together. Probably why I prefer the muted colourway as the colours stand out much more.

I do prefer that jacket with a kilt with lighter colours like this one:

20210506_160356~2.jpg

Shane
    Last edited by gsmacleod; 10th October 21 at 07:51 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In your view, is this a solvable problem, or is it just the nature of patterned tweeds? In other words, can the pattern be made smaller or larger, or be made of some different combination of colors, so that it doesn't detract from the overall look?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    In your view, is this a solvable problem, or is it just the nature of patterned tweeds? In other words, can the pattern be made smaller or larger, or be made of some different combination of colors, so that it doesn't detract from the overall look?
    Good question. I think the problem is solvable, with difficulty, with some tartans. An example is Glen's rather loud tartan jacket that he has displayed here. Its a completely different colour to the kilt and therefore it stands out as a completely different entity to the kilt. Care needs to be taken though as "loud" could very easily turn into "brash". Also reds, blues and nuclear colours of greens and yellows would not work.

I also think window pain patterned tweed, can look rather insipid as a kilt jacket, on the other hand a really loud window pain Tweed can usually look a disaster! But, BUT, some a very few can be effective. Its a huge trial and error exercise. But I was lucky here in Scotland I could see what worked for my peers!

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast