X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hemmed tweed kilts?

I purchased some tweed fabric from Marton Mills recently, curious what the fabric was like. I have five yards of the black watch weathered, and I think it would make a nice kilt. The texture of the fibers makes it difficult to assess the quality of the selvedge. It looks very nice and straight, but I was under the impression that tweeds arenít usually produced with a good enough selvedge to make a kilt without hemming. Those of you with tweed kilts (especially if you have a tartan tweed from Marton Mills) - is the bottom edge of your kilt hemmed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daibhidh View Post
    Öif you have a tartan tweed from Marton Mills) - is the bottom edge of your kilt hemmed?
    Yes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TweedKiltHem.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	40746

I havenít measured but I think it is about 1.25in. The fabric is Marton Mills Pheasant Loganberry, IIRC.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nemuragh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daibhidh View Post
    It looks very nice and straight, but I was under the impression that tweeds arenít usually produced with a good enough selvedge to make a kilt without hemming.
    It depends on the weaver and the type of loom used. The older type of Cross-Dob loom, used by Andrew Elliot Ltd for example, produces a perfect selvedge.

Marton Mills' and a number of other weavers use a more modern type of loom, it's faster but is finished with a 'tuck edge' rather than a 'selvedge'.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post: