X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thick trimming on edges certainly looks garish to me, most Edwardian morning coats have quarter inch piping (eg prince charles has one that looks good) but there are thicker military style trim ones historically which look awful (eg oscar wilde in his “aesthetic dress”. Note these trims I refer to are in silk closely matching body of the fabric.

I think self similar trim in thin piping on edges can look very good; I have seen evening tailcoats (saxon) that have black trim & they look very suave. Don’t forget they have trousers with trim running down the side seams too

however, with gold or silver on edges, thin or not I do think it starts to look too much like piper uniforms, even though they look different (eg open lapels vs standing collars).

however I think good or silver (matching the color of your jacket buttons) cord to do your buttonholes only & not coat edges can look excellent.

I recently posted on another thread about red & blue regulation doublets; those show contrast thread—that’s what I mean would look good in gold or silver.

i am not a fan of self color trim if there are metal buttons—I think trim looks better matching the buttons whatever color (eg cloth covered buttons matching trim
    Last edited by Kriegbert; 26th October 21 at 02:40 AM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kriegbert For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12