X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    What's amazing is that I've had several newer pair of kilt hose get big holes, while a pair of hose I got in the 1980s still are fine.

About repairing hose, in West Virginia I grew up with my Grandmother around, who lived in a log cabin with a dirt floor until she got married and moved to town. She came of age in the Great Depression and the "make-do" attitude permeated everything she did.

That mindset rubbed off on me. I learned to darn socks as a kid by watching my Grandmother, and I couldn't imagine throwing socks away due to a hole or two.

Her method was to make a series of parallel strands of yarn going across the opening, then make a perpendicular series of parallel strands of yarn, weaving each perpendicular strand over and under, creating a woven patch in effect.

She would have a big light-bulb inside the sock.
    My father learned to darn from his mother, but never passed it down. I've never bothered to learn, but I think I now know how thanks to your short description. Thank you, Richard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have hose I knitted 50 years ago and have repaired over the years.

There seems to be a variety of methods of darning. One makes a woven patch, another makes what looks like a knitted patch but it is sewn, and a third uses a knitted patch and grafts it into the damaged area.

I wonder if it is a cultural thing.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knitted patch grafted in is what my friend did for me. I loved it!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12