X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much is a yard of woollen tartan supposed to cost?

I'm thinking about supplying my own tartan fabric to a kiltmaker, & have come across prices like 75 pounds. Seems q bit more expensive just to supply the tartan for my kiltmaker for something like an 8 yard knife pleat kilt?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the mill, the yardage, and the tartan, but £75 seems a bit steep to me. I'd expect more around the £40-55 range. I'm having a custom run of my tartan made (13m) and only paying £47/m and that's only because I'm having two colors specially dyed.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is to query your chosen kilt maker about what fabric they use for kilts. Or what fabric and mill they suggest.
    Then approach that mill directly and inquire about the price of that fabric.

Get your information direct from the source.

Weaving mills do not mind quoting pricing. They may quote you their retail price but it gives you actual, factual data to make a decision from.

If you are thinking of supplying the fabric, where are you sourcing your fabric? Are you paying retail or wholesale?
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 17th October 21 at 01:07 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I have noticed you have posted an aweful lot of questions about highland dress. I think the best advice anyone can give is to go and find a reputable kiltmaker. They will help you sort out a lot of your questions: you will be able to see what tartans are available and then will be able to guide you on cost and the construction of a kilt. Kiltmakers have sample books of hundreds of tartans (and in different shades: i.e. modern, ancient, hunting). And most have trade accounts with the mills that produce the tartan and will be able to guide you on the price. The kilt is the foundation of your highland dress. Once you have it, all your other decisions will probably just fall into place. Good luck!

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plaid preacher View Post
    Hi. I have noticed you have posted an aweful lot of questions about highland dress. I think the best advice anyone can give is to go and find a reputable kiltmaker. They will help you sort out a lot of your questions: you will be able to see what tartans are available and then will be able to guide you on cost and the construction of a kilt. Kiltmakers have sample books of hundreds of tartans (and in different shades: i.e. modern, ancient, hunting). And most have trade accounts with the mills that produce the tartan and will be able to guide you on the price. The kilt is the foundation of your highland dress. Once you have it, all your other decisions will probably just fall into place. Good luck!
    I have done just that, lady chrystel is helpful & obliging. I am always keen to get second or third opinions, especially from the consumer side of the fence, though!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kriegbert For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriegbert View Post
    I have done just that, lady chrystel is helpful & obliging. I am always keen to get second or third opinions, especially from the consumer side of the fence, though!
    When I was in the market for a custom tartan, I engaged the kilt maker first, I wanted my tartan with a large sett and colours that went with my tartan adjusted to the shades of colours that to my eye looked just right, then the kilt maker found a weaver who would do what was wanted. I don't think there was too much of a problem finding a willing tartan weaver. The only thing that I was offered was the more tartan that I bought the less per yard the cloth would cost. All fairly standard stuff and in the end I ended up with enough cloth for one kilt. It was some time ago, about 9/10 years ago now, so I cannot honestly remember the cost, but at that time I did not find the cost too prohibitive. So in a pleasantly short time I had a new kilt to wear and is just what I had in mind.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    When I was in the market for a custom tartan, I engaged the kilt maker first, I wanted my tartan with a large sett and colours that went with my tartan adjusted to the shades of colours that to my eye looked just right, then the kilt maker found a weaver who would do what was wanted. I don't think there was too much of a problem finding a willing tartan weaver. The only thing that I was offered was the more tartan that I bought the less per yard the cloth would cost. All fairly standard stuff and in the end I ended up with enough cloth for one kilt. It was some time ago, about 9/10 years ago now, so I cannot honestly remember the cost, but at that time I did not find the cost too prohibitive. So in a pleasantly short time I had a new kilt to wear and is just what I had in mind.

On the saxon side of things, some years ago I paid 1600 pounds or thereabouts to commission a vintage worsted to replicate a pattern I really liked but could not find an equivalent pattern to. Would have worked out even better "per mileage" if I had paid about ten times the cost but I had no need to make 20 suitings! Actually, I used to be a member of a forum called londonlounge where members would regularly commission batches of custom worsteds in bulk & each take the appropriate yardages for members' use. If any of you are familiar with suiting cloths, the cloths available today are woefully small in variety compared to say 90 years back when they were daily wear, as should be expected.

I am not sure if that kind of arrangement has been ever done on this site. I haven’t been specifically looking for some tartan woven specifically for me.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few tartans that have gone down the "group buy" route on this website which, as far as I am aware, has worked out pretty well for the members. Two tartans that I can think of that have gone down this route are The "Xmarks" tartan and the "Scottish Wildcat" tartan and these were both new designs. There are other tartans though, that have also gone down the route of a group buy for specific "Clan tartans" but as to details I cannot comment. But for sure, the more tartan ordered the less expensive it is. But, don't run away with the idea that custom tartans in whatever form that takes, are never going to be cheap!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 19th October 21 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    There are a few tartans that have gone down the "group buy" route on this website
    My avatar (above) is just such a fabric. It's the Carolina tartan, officially adopted by the US states of North and South Carolina. It was woven about 10+ years ago.

It's much more economical when a few dozen people combine their resources; the trick is finding an expert who can co-ordinate it! If enough fabric is ordered, then it can be woven double-width, making it more affordable.
    Ken Sallenger - apprentice kiltmaker, journeyman curmudgeon,
    gainfully unemployed systems programmer

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fluter View Post
    My avatar (above) is just such a fabric. It's the Carolina tartan, officially adopted by the US states of North and South Carolina. It was woven about 10+ years ago.

It's much more economical when a few dozen people combine their resources; the trick is finding an expert who can co-ordinate it! If enough fabric is ordered, then it can be woven double-width, making it more affordable.
    Andrew Elliot Ltd will weave a minimum order of 10m and the price is not outragous. I've just had 240m of a single-width special woven by Lochcarron at a fantastic price. Second run in the offing.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast