X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alternate buttons on Prince Charlie?

I know there have been threads over the years about this but I thought I would make a current thread on the topic.

Several years ago I bought a very nice old Prince Charlie that didn't come with a waistcoat. Just now I picked up an old matching waistcoat which however is missing the buttons.

I could get matching buttons, the typical uber-shiny square buttons with the lion and Gaelic motto...

But I was wondering if people could post photos of their Evening jackets with alternative buttons: round metal, horn, plastic, cloth-covered, with stones, etc.

IIRC there are 20 buttons on a Prince Charlie so expense is a factor. I attended a Scottish festival last Saturday where a silversmith had beautiful Sterling Silver buttons, reasonable at $10 each, but it does add up.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've seen these elsewhere Richard, but for others that may be interested; I purchased six original buttons (Edinburgh 1910) and had them copied. They'll get their first proper outing tomorrow evening.

FB_IMG_1635288153937.jpg

20211027_160450.jpg
    Last edited by figheadair; 27th October 21 at 08:06 AM.

4. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I know there have been threads over the years about this but I thought I would make a current thread on the topic.

Several years ago I bought a very nice old Prince Charlie that didn't come with a waistcoat. Just now I picked up an old matching waistcoat which however is missing the buttons.

I could get matching buttons, the typical uber-shiny square buttons with the lion and Gaelic motto...

But I was wondering if people could post photos of their Evening jackets with alternative buttons: round metal, horn, plastic, cloth-covered, with stones, etc.

IIRC there are 20 buttons on a Prince Charlie so expense is a factor. I attended a Scottish festival last Saturday where a silversmith had beautiful Sterling Silver buttons, reasonable at $10 each, but it does add up.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    22 if you include the epaulettes!

https://etsy.me/3yr4KUo

this is the cufflinks I bought so I could cast new buttons I mentioned in another thread.

They’re the same diameter as waistcoat buttons (half inch), so I will need to create a larger version for the jacket buttons

from my research, both civilian & military, historical & contemporary, there are some variations but I find generally coatees & doublets stick to two sizes (larger for ALL doublet & coatee buttons while smaller for waistcoat; whereas the jacket types (crail argyle braemar) sometimes (but not always take THREE sizes they introduce a medium size for the jacket cuffs pockets & epaulettes, reserving the large for the front closure ONLY. However some jackets dispense with the medium size entirely, both contemporary & vintage.

note this is likely because on military jackets the tendency is to use only large buttons for all trimmings on the jacket, whereas on civilian saxon dress you introduce a medium size button for cuffs (lounge suits etc) since the crail braemar argyle jackets resemble the lounge suits more they want to keep those proportions

to me only the crail should take med size buttons; the so called braemar & argyle cuffs if you look at historical example take the larger buttons & as this look better with the larger ones.

sourcing vintage buttons in different ligne sizes per se is not dofficult but in sufficient quantity (I found my square polyester buttons on Etsy) may be hard; but for some reason eBay has plenty of production buttons.

if you are looking for metal I forget who but a forum member back in december got a vintage stud set (they come in sets of six). They are always waistcoat size, so you will need to make a 50% larger version as the jacket will look strange if you cast them directly, I have seen example where the smaller buttons were used on the jacket incorrectly! You may not be able to point it out at first but something instinctively looks off.

also another warning: most swuare button suppliers give ligne sizes based on length of a button size, but I have come across a couple that do it based on the diagonal. You will have to apply pythagorean theorem to obtain the measurements you need or risk getting larger or smaller buttons than you want
    Last edited by Kriegbert; 27th October 21 at 12:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are these available for dance-wear costume-making -

https://www.the-reel.co.uk/store/p97...d_Thistle.html

And at £1.25 - £1.65 depending on size, they are priced competitively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Celtic jackalope has silver buttons in 1/2” and 3/4”. Expensive though.

$20 for one 3/4” button though they mention a bulk discount.

https://www.celticjackalope.com/shop...c-knot-button/
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    There are these available for dance-wear costume-making -

https://www.the-reel.co.uk/store/p97...d_Thistle.html
    Yes I had forgot about the diamond-shaped buttons. One does see those sometimes on vintage Highland men's jackets.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Celtic jackalope has silver buttons in 1/2” and 3/4”. Expensive though.

$20 for one 3/4” button though they mention a bulk discount.

https://www.celticjackalope.com/shop...c-knot-button/
    Yes that was the booth I saw last weekend!

Those buttons are very nice. I was quoted $10 each, probably I was looking at the small buttons?

Those Sterling cap-badges are very nice too.

I found this photo online a few weeks ago, I don't remember where. Some nice buttons but I don't know the sizes etc.

Last edited by OC Richard; 27th October 21 at 03:52 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Formal Wear Buttons

Richard,
    I was fortunate to have inherited a black velvet balmoral type jacket from a cousin that was adorned with beautiful cut steel buttons. The buttons are targe-like in appearance and were taken from a great-great-grandfathers court dress and date from the late 1800’s to early 1900’s. I recently had a friend, who is a jeweller by trade, cast me a matching set in silver. These were to replace the standard diamond shape buttons on a velvet argyll jacket.
    B63BA5FF-F6E4-47F8-A5AA-BC57CB6B4459.jpg
    6E304DA5-4B5E-4DD5-B4E1-E1B4C709B445.jpg
    The jacket cuff on the left has the cast sterling silver While the cuff on the right side bears the original cut steel buttons. I had some extra small buttons cast for a double breasted black waistcoat and matching cuff links. I received the cast sterling silver buttons just before Covid hit so I’ve not had an opportunity to wear the jacket out yet.
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

13. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to MacCathmhaoil For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

something different

Richard,
    Here is a project I have been working on lately that seems to fit into this post.

The buttons are somewhat homemade. I converted a set of silver lapel pins (found on line) to buttons by replacing the pins
    with silver button shanks and the secured them on the jacket with silver wires and thread.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes I had forgot about the diamond-shaped buttons. One does see those sometimes on vintage Highland men's jackets.
    I picked up an old jacket at a reasonable price and was delighted to find that the buttons were hallmarked 1927.

1927 Thistle Buttons.jpg

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast