X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is there were an app for identifying tartans

I recently came across an app in the app store which allowed identification of flora. I was absolutely blown away by this. & then I cane across a thread on this site asking for identification of a tartan, & wondered, surely the processing required for tartans would be simpler?

this is not the first time an idea like this crossed my mind. For our heraldry people here, likewise a coat of arms identifier, or at least where you input terms using heraldic terminology in adatabase would certainly be something! I hear when an englishman is granted a coat of arms by the college of arms, it costs thousands of pounds but mainly the cost is to scour the old books to make sure the new grant is not a duplicate of an extant or extinct one!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that simple.

Like may things, this has been discussed on this Forum before. I can't get the search function to work at present but I'm sure someone will be able to post the link.

Mods - I get this error message using the Advanced Search function:

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupMessage::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in ..../packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupmessage.php on line 0
    Last edited by figheadair; 1st November 21 at 11:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriegbert View Post
    I recently came across an app in the app store which allowed identification of flora. I was absolutely blown away by this. & then I cane across a thread on this site asking for identification of a tartan, & wondered, surely the processing required for tartans would be simpler?

this is not the first time an idea like this crossed my mind. For our heraldry people here, likewise a coat of arms identifier, or at least where you input terms using heraldic terminology in adatabase would certainly be something! I hear when an englishman is granted a coat of arms by the college of arms, it costs thousands of pounds but mainly the cost is to scour the old books to make sure the new grant is not a duplicate of an extant or extinct one!
    This is true...

The heralds don't get paid in the usual way, and the fees they charge are for their services and knowledge, and for the time and effort put into preparing the vellum, painting the heraldic device and lettering the detail of the grant. A copy is bound into the tomes of their records. It's a skilled and highly labour-intensive process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think something like that would be interesting depending on its intended use. As a way to identify a tartan or coat of arms that you’ve seen in person or online, fine. As something more official it could be problematic. Software is not always that reliable. For example, I would be interested in an app that would tell me what plant I was looking at. If I wanted to know if a plant I was about to pick and eat out of the forest was poisonous or not, I would want to double check any app. Obviously no one is going to die over a misidentified tartan or coat of arms, but you get my point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    For example, I would be interested in an app that would tell me what plant I was looking at. If I wanted to know if a plant I was about to pick and eat out of the forest was poisonous or not, I would want to double check any app. Obviously no one is going to die over a misidentified tartan or coat of arms, but you get my point.
    I can't vouch for them myself, but my wife uses Plantsnap or iNaturalist.
    When in doubt, end with a jig. - Robin McCauley

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try as I may, I cannot find the previous thread and my reply on this tpoic.

The short answer is that there are too many variables which, combined with the fact that there is no public database off all the existing tartans, means that this idea is an impossible dream IMO.

I find the best tartan identifier is that between my ears.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Between your ears

Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Try as I may, I cannot find the previous thread and my reply on this tpoic.

The short answer is that there are too many variables which, combined with the fact that there is no public database off all the existing tartans, means that this idea is an impossible dream IMO.

I find the best tartan identifier is that between my ears.

So.......................I can just call you?
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx