X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting Article about Hitomi Nomura making trad kilts in Japan

Jay Dallas Benson
    Cincinnati, OH

2. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to jdbenson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what i call bringing cultures together!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She is a wonderful artist I spoke to her a few years ago about her tartan kimono which I think is absolutely gorgeous.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish her endeavours well. The Japanese always appear to have a huge interest in Scotland when they are here. In fact, so much so that another of their countrymen spent many years over here closely studying the whisky industry and then returning home to set up his own distillery and then went on to win numerous prestigious prizes given by the whisky industry.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th October 21 at 05:03 AM. Reason: typo.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that the longer length woman's kilt shown is left side fastening - all the woman's kilts I came across when I was younger were right side fastening, left side folded over right - like kimonos.
    The first kilts I wore - in the 1950s were definitely intended for girls, by the length, but they were right side fastening, and in films and photos I have seen, all right side.
    Even in the 1960s when I bought a pattern for a wrap over skirt it was made with a zip and closure at the left hip, but the fronts folded left over right and were sewn together and fitted into the waistband.

I wonder where and when the alteration occurred.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Interesting that the longer length woman's kilt shown is left side fastening - all the woman's kilts I came across when I was younger were right side fastening, left side folded over right - like kimonos.
    The first kilts I wore - in the 1950s were definitely intended for girls, by the length, but they were right side fastening, and in films and photos I have seen, all right side.
    Even in the 1960s when I bought a pattern for a wrap over skirt it was made with a zip and closure at the left hip, but the fronts folded left over right and were sewn together and fitted into the waistband.

I wonder where and when the alteration occurred.

Anne the Pleater
    In Scotland, the left side fastening for females is still occasionally found today for solo lady pipers or where the kilt (not kilted skirt) is school uniform for girls.
    Here are boys (sporrans) and girls (tights and smaller sett) at the army's Queen Victoria School, Dunblane.
    https://www.qvs.school/wp-content/up...t-22.52.19.png
    Presumably the origin of the male/female difference when girls began to wear kilts in the 20s/ (other than for dancing) followed the practice of opposite fastening for buttoned up garments. Obviously, with kilts being handed down from siblings/cousins etc. the differentiation gradually became viewed as impractical.

Alan

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    Here are boys (sporrans) and girls (tights and smaller sett) at the army's Queen Victoria School, Dunblane.
    https://www.qvs.school/wp-content/up...t-22.52.19.png
    That's interesting!

There are parallels with the evolution of how female band members dress in mixed-gender civilian pipe bands.

Even when I started piping (1970s) there were "Ladies' Pipe Bands" who wore rather frilly outfits.

When bands became mixed, what to do?

Our pipe band here in California, started in the 1970s, had several female members from the beginning. Our Pipe Major got some inspiration from the Grantown & District Pipe Band album cover:

So our female pipers wore blouses, ladies' skirts, nylons, and ladies' shoes. No sporrans for our ladies back then.

Here are members of Triumph Street Pipe Band (Canada) in 1976. Women in kilt hose, bonnets, and sporrans but female blouses.

Also in 1976 the Canadian Air Pipe Band. Regulation doublets, bonnets, and sporrans for everyone, though the women in the lace things that female Highland dancers wear.

Last edited by OC Richard; 30th October 21 at 05:58 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte