X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is the dividing line between kilt hose & shooting socks?

On one end, highly formal diced or Argyle hose with castellated tops & the like are quite distinctive in its use for scottish highland dress, but it's the middle area where shooting socks join, especially (but not limited to) solid colour socks from outside exclusively highland hosiery. I'm trying to ascertain any definitions or distinctions? Just from an academic standpoint, as it seems in many cases the two types would be interchangeable anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriegbert View Post

On one end, highly formal diced or Argyle hose with castellated tops & the like are quite distinctive in its use for scottish highland dress, but it's the middle area where shooting socks join, especially (but not limited to) solid colour socks from outside exclusively highland hosiery. I'm trying to ascertain any definitions or distinctions? Just from an academic standpoint, as it seems in many cases the two types would be interchangeable anyway
    To my eye, the difference is merely aesthetic. House of Cheviot's shooting socks and kilt hose are basically interchangeable, though marketed one way or another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shooting socks tend to be longer so they can go over the bottom of shooting breeks. Clever folding can make them work as kilt hose.

On the other hand, I know user Jockscot wears his HoC Lewis kilt hose with breeks so the length must not be that different.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Shooting socks tend to be longer so they can go over the bottom of shooting breeks. Clever folding can make them work as kilt hose.

On the other hand, I know user Jockscot wears his HoC Lewis kilt hose with breeks so the length must not be that different.
    Yes, I use HoC hose as dual purpose shooting/kilt hose. I have a system that works for me and countless others so why change? I am wearing a pair of green HoC hose with my kilt today and I will be wearing HoC hose with my shooting attire tomorrow I have no idea what colour they will be, yet.

I choose plain tops as with plus 4's the hose tops are not seen, so its just easier and less expensive that way. There are some very smart and colourful shooting hose sold by the top end shooting shops such as Westley Richards and Holland and Holland to name just two companies that could just as easily be worn with the kilt. But HoC hose or "The almost unwearoutable sock Company" provide everything I require in Shooting/kilt hose.

Just to avoid confusion, there are distinct tailoring differences between breeks and plus 4's. Breeks are usually cut narrower and slightly shorter than Plus 2's/4's/6's/ or even Plus 8's.

I will try and find picture or two that does not break Rule 11 to demonstrate what I mean.

IMG_1713_1.jpg

The two chaps centre and left are wearing breeks and the patterned tops of the hose are plain to see, the chap on the right is wearing plus4's and the hose tops cannot be seen.

The hose worn here shooting,

IMG_0468.jpeg

could easily be the ones being worn here.

August. Sept 2012 016 2.jpg
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 5th November 21 at 01:13 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Yes, I use HoC hose as dual purpose shooting/kilt hose. I have a system that works for me and countless others so why change? I am wearing a pair of green HoC hose with my kilt today and I will be wearing HoC hose with my shooting attire tomorrow I have no idea what colour they will be, yet.

I choose plain tops as with plus 4's the hose tops are not seen, so its just easier and less expensive that way. There are some very smart and colourful shooting hose sold by the top end shooting shops such as Wesley Richards and Holland and Holland to name just two companies that could just as easily be worn with the kilt. But HoC hose or "The almost unwearoutable sock Company" provide everything I require in Shooting/kilt hose.

Just to avoid confusion, there are distinct tailoring differences between breeks and plus 4's. Breeks are usually cut narrower and slightly shorter than Plus 2's/4's/6's/ or even Plus 8's.

I will try and find picture or two that does not break Rule 11 to demonstrate what I mean.

The two chaps centre and left are wearing breeks and the patterned tops of the hose are plain to see, the chap on the right is wearing plus4's and the hose tops cannot be seen.

The hose worn here shooting,

could easily be the ones being worn here.

Don’t forget that the number refers to how far below the knee the excess drops. Eg plus-twos also exist

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t forget that the number refers to how far below the knee the excess drops. Eg plus-twos also exist
    I am aware of that.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I am aware of that.

Surprised jodhpurs & breeches (pronounced britches) haven’t been mentioned yet

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Officers of some Scots Regiments were known to wear tartan breeches , I think in the Boar war and in WW1 too. I have no idea if they were "official" attire though.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traditionally all officers were mounted and wore riding breeches, which could be solid colour or tartan.

Here you can see a Field Grade Officer in tartan breeches

Last edited by OC Richard; 8th November 21 at 08:45 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Yes you'll see similar socks very long for shooting and shorter for Highland Dress.

I once bought a Cheviot pair that had one of each!! Identical hose, but made to quite different lengths.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: