X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone seen this type of kilt closure before? Any thoughts?

Any info would be great, I'm very curious about it! Not sure how adjustable it would be but I imagine adding more columns of buttons? This was the only image I could find. I wonder if the left side had a strap or a different mechanism!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good example of the unnecessary. The traditional waist fastening has stood the test of time.

3. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A kilt just sold today on shopgoodwill.com that had a similar closure. When I first saw it, I thought it was a a women's kilt as it appears to close on the left with four buttons and no straps. Goodwill says men's. It think they're wrong. The brand is Basler which Google returns as a maker of Women's clothing. The thing that throws it off is the label says 42. I've never seen that as a women's size.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/132802539

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rose View Post
    A kilt just sold today on shopgoodwill.com that had a similar closure. When I first saw it, I thought it was a a women's kilt as it appears to close on the left with four buttons and no straps. Goodwill says men's. It think they're wrong. The brand is Basler which Google returns as a maker of Women's clothing. The thing that throws it off is the label says 42. I've never seen that as a women's size.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/132802539
    Completely agree. This looks to be a woman's skirt ... in addition to the unusual button closure (for a man's kilt), notice also the pockets on the front cut at an angle. Although it's hung on the hanger with the buttons centered in the photo, the placement of the pockets in relationship to the button closure indicates the buttons would be off-center, running down the front of the left hip facing front. The length and pleating (especially on the front) also suggest a woman's skirt to me.

The OP's photo shows something different. It looks like the fringe of the front apron is on the right (suggesting the photo is taken from the back), so the buttons would be right hip. A strange closure for a kilt. And still COULD be a women's skirt, but it's less obvious than the one from Goodwill.
    Last edited by ktk1961; 7th November 21 at 10:04 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in addition to it being an unnecessary "innovation" I doubt it would be very practical. Much like the second strap on the right side, this flap closure would undergo a lot of flex and strain at the hip joint (it seems to me); and unlike the lower strap, it can't be adjusted to be loose. I think there would be a lot of pulling on the buttons and fabric.