X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two interesting photographs

Here are a couple of old photographs from my neck of the woods that you might find interesting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eliz  Forbes-Semple.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	40894

The date is 1934 and this is the funeral procession of Sir John Forbes* of Craigievar who was the local laird here at that time. They are on their way to St. Meddans Churchyard just half a mile from here. Immediately following the coffin is his son, William, carrying his father's war medals on a cushion. His widow, Gwendolen, was Welsh**. And, on her right, is her elder daughter , the Honourable Margaret (aged 29) and, on her left, the younger daughter, Elizabeth (aged 22).

Now, I guess you might find the attire of the daughters interesting. Forbes tartan, of course. Remember, this is roughly within the first ten years or so of the kilt being worn by women. other than for dancing. Slightly surprising for the time, the girls have kilts fastening on the right. They are wearing thick (female) stockings. The kilt pins are quite high up. They are wearing waistcoats, Balmorals and sporrans – quite unacceptable cross-dressing in Scotland nowadays (!) except in pipe bands. And at least Elizabeth has a belt OVER the waistcoat.

In 1944, Elizabeth graduated in medicine at Aberdeen University, setting up as a general practitioner in Alford. So what’s the link with this second photo - dated 1952.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ewan Forbes-Sempill crop.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	40895

Maybe the belt over the waistcoat is a giveaway. Yes, Elizabeth had “come out” as it were as Ewan in order to marry his housekeeper, Isabella. He said he always knew himself to be male. Nobody batted an eyelid locally, he was such a lovely man. I remember being at Scottish concerts in the ‘50s when he was MC and, yes, he had a high voice but was full of enthusiasm for all things Scottish. There was more of a legal stooshie because his brother had no children so Margaret would have inherited the title had he not changed but it was amicably sorted out in the end and he died in 1991 as the Honourable Sir Ewan Forbes of Craigievar. Just an interesting variation on LGBT matters which was of no concern whatever to the local Aberdeenshire community

* In my young day, Forbes was still pronounced as For-bis

** Her maiden surname was “Prodgers” i.e. originally Ap Rodgers. “Ap” is the p-Celtic equivalent of Irish “Ob” or “O’” roughly = Mac/Nic in Scots Gaelic. So names like “Prichard”, "Preece”, "Price" “Parry”, “Bowen” etc. are all of Welsh origin. Thought you might not know that.

Alan

2. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    ** Her maiden surname was “Prodgers” i.e. originally Ap Rodgers. “Ap” is the p-Celtic equivalent of Irish “Ob” or “O’” roughly = Mac/Nic in Scots Gaelic. So names like “Prichard”, "Preece”, "Price" “Parry”, “Bowen” etc. are all of Welsh origin. Thought you might not know that.
    Nice pictures & thanks for sharing the background.

I have some distant ancestors that were Preece's (my 5th great grandmother on Dad's side), so I was aware of the Welsh to English transliteration from ap Rees to Prees, etc. I thought the Welsh 'ap' was more or less equivalent to the Gaelic (Irish or Scots) M'/Mc/Mac, meaning 'son of' as opposed to the Irish O' meaning 'grandson of'. But I'm no great scholar of linguistics either. Neither do I know of the female equivalents, aside from 'nic' meaning 'daughter of', following the maternal line.
    John

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    Nice pictures & thanks for sharing the background.

I have some distant ancestors that were Preece's (my 5th great grandmother on Dad's side), so I was aware of the Welsh to English transliteration from ap Rees to Prees, etc. I thought the Welsh 'ap' was more or less equivalent to the Gaelic (Irish or Scots) M'/Mc/Mac, meaning 'son of' as opposed to the Irish O' meaning 'grandson of'. But I'm no great scholar of linguistics either. Neither do I know of the female equivalents, aside from 'nic' meaning 'daughter of', following the maternal line.
    The arrival of surnames rather confused this e.g. if someone is called MacDonald it no longer means that his father's name was/is Donald but rather that he is descended from someone called Donald. Therefor all these forms essentially represent patronymics rather than the littoral meaning.

Alan

P.S. For those who might be further interested in the intricacies of Scottish aristocratic life, here are a few links

https://www.clan-forbes.org/post/sir-ewan-forbes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Ew...,_11th_Baronet

https://archive.ph/20130421125256/ht...dy-Forbes.html
    Last edited by neloon; 7th November 21 at 08:05 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was handed down some kilts which could have been of some age, to judge by the condition of the leather straps, in the mid 1950s. They fastened on the right - I remember distinctly as my mum put in a blanket type pin, low down and I knelt on it and got stabbed. My father's mother was quite scathing about it as the edge of the apron had a reinforced patch at mid thigh level to take the pin.

Note that in the funeral photo the widow's kilt is (most likely) made from the maximum half width of the fabric, 27 inches whilst the daughters' kilts are to the knee.
    They were wearing lisle, that is cotton stockings as silk stockings would not be appropriate.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just thinking that Sir Ewan's story was like something from a Scottish version of Downton Abbey when it was announced that a TV series of his life is to be made.
    https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...rid=2141368642

Alan

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post: