X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally Got My White Whale!

Happened upon this little fellow on eBay a couple of weeks ago and snapped it up. MOD Culloden Sporran.

Hoping to get it off to Margaret Morrison for a new bag shortly and looking for inspiration for bag and tassel style. I'm leaning towards having a new bag in dark brown leather the same as the blanco'd one I removed (removing the bag was straightforward, just had to pop the press studs out), I'm just not sure if I should add the side and centre tassels or leave it tassel-less.

I'm keen to see how others have done theirs, I have had a look through some of the other threads but hoping to see if there are some out there that I missed. Also wondering if anyone has reapplied the blanco coating to the original bag.

IMG_7570.jpg
    IMG_7694.jpg
    IMG_7695.jpg
    Last edited by Miller6582; 6th November 21 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Adding sporran name

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Miller6582 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations here are a couple of threads to look at if you missed them

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...gallery-86626/

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-action-86632/

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My leather one appeared in the links McMurdo provided, but here’s my Texas bobcat:

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to find one of these cantles.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is another of my brass cantle sporrans. This one was a commission by a grandfather, I've never seen one like this.

Last edited by McMurdo; 7th November 21 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commission

Wow, thats a very unusual style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller6582 View Post
    Happened upon this little fellow on eBay a couple of weeks ago and snapped it up. MOD Culloden Sporran.

Hoping to get it off to Margaret Morrison for a new bag shortly and looking for inspiration for bag and tassel style. I'm leaning towards having a new bag in dark brown leather the same as the blanco'd one I removed (removing the bag was straightforward, just had to pop the press studs out), I'm just not sure if I should add the side and centre tassels or leave it tassel-less.

I'm keen to see how others have done theirs, I have had a look through some of the other threads but hoping to see if there are some out there that I missed. Also wondering if anyone has reapplied the blanco coating to the original bag.

IMG_7570.jpg
    IMG_7694.jpg
    IMG_7695.jpg

I found myself in the same situation recently, and Margaret Morrison were more than willing to provide a number of examples as possibilites, offer a wide range of leathers and furs to work from, and discuss custom options. This is what they made for me -

DSCF9397a.jpg DSCF9400a.jpg

The leather has an attractive 'aged' appearance, and is superbly soft and supple, and they have lined the sporran with a 'forest green' suede to help protect items carried.

If you are within convenient travelling distance, I would strongly reccommend a visit in person to see the showroom in Perth and discuss your ideas - the possibilities are only limited by budget and imagination. I found their costs perfectly reasonable, and even a bit les than I had expected.

They also made a sporran strap and dirk-belt to match. Excellent stuff.

Good luck..!
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 8th November 21 at 06:59 AM.

11. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom

Thanks for the information. I think I've settled on a brown pebbled leather style with the two side and centre tassels very similar to McMurdo's Artificer one. It should compliment my Sam Browne belt with its dark brown and brass hardware. I do have a couple of other cantles needing some work in the future, so might pop into Margaret Morrison when in next back Perth ways (I'm originally from just outside Perth).

IMG_7494.jpg
    IMG_7643.jpg

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Miller6582 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Finished Article

That's for all the input. Just arrived back today from Greg at Margaret Morrisons.

IMG_7851.jpg
    IMG_7869 2.jpg

15. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Miller6582 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller6582 View Post

IMG_7570.jpg
    ]
    Didn't Captain Ahab harpoon his?
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast