X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Extensions / Extenders

Hi,

My first post so forgive me if this has been asked before. I've had my kilt over 30 years and it's in excellent condition. Haven't worn it in about 5 years and of course I now can't get anywhere near to getting into it. Wedding in a few weeks' time and I need somehow to claw back about 6 inches, maybe (according to my wife) slightly more. Any extender straps I've seen online seem to say that the maximum they will extend is 5 inches. I need 1.5 inch width which doesn't seem that common though is available. Any suggestions? Not keen on moving the buckle but wondered if there was any other option - or stockists of straps for more than 5 inch extensions? Or can you wear 2 extender straps joined together?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ken

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you, or anyone you know, have basic sewing skill?

Moving the two buckles on the right side and the strap on the left is an easy quick fix to many alteration problems.

Just remember that the straps and buckles are not sewn to the outer Tartan fabric. The stitches go through the outer fabric and are anchored to the stabilizer hidden underneath the inner liner.

It usually takes just an hour or so to move straps and buckles.

This thread may help. - http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=78931

Remember that making a kilt larger is harder to do successfully than it is to make a kilt smaller.
    The thing to look at is how much the under apron will show from under the outer apron. one or two inches is usually not a problem as it looks like another pleat. But anything more and it soon becomes obvious that something is not right.
    Then check that there is still enough overlap of the aprons. You don't want to have so little overlap that you flash everyone in the room every time you sit down.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 10th November 21 at 01:48 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Moving the two buckles on the right side and the strap on the left is an easy quick fix to many alteration problems.

It usually takes just an hour or so to move straps and buckles.
    I have the advantage that my kilts only have one buckle per side. I've done this on my kilts and the Pipe Band's kilts so many times that it only takes me a half hour.

Myself and several band-mates gained weight over the COVID lockdown and promptly lost the weight after returning to work, so I had a pile of the things to do, twice over the last year.

Yes just move the strap on the under-apron and the buckle & tab on the wearer's right, easy peasy.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: