X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing new in Christendom. Maj Colin MacRae of Fourlinn and Lord Dumfries, North Bute Highland Games, 1935.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maj Colin MacRae of Fourlinn & Lord Dumfries, North Bute Highland Games -  The Bystander - Wedne.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	40949

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Barbour and "Barbour style" jackets and fleeces are commonly worn with the kilt in Scotland when necessary.There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance takes second place to common sense.
    I follow the same advice, although I state it a bit differently-

I’ve plenty of experience being uncomfortable, and find no need to practice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly comes in handy in Scotland. I run tours there and on one of the travel forums I'm on the constant question I see is along the lines of: "I will be in Scotland on so and so date - what will the weather be like". My typical response is: "err... changeable".

Although it's easy to predict the weather, if it's not raining, then it's likely to rain later.

To quote Billy Connelly: "There are two seasons in Scotland: June and Winter" or "There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would the above advice still hold true if the Barbour were worn more as a jacket in relatively cold weather even when it’s not raining? I’m only asking because the Barbour is of course longer than a jacket worn with a kilt is usually advised to be.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    Would the above advice still hold true if the Barbour were worn more as a jacket in relatively cold weather even when it’s not raining? I’m only asking because the Barbour is of course longer than a jacket worn with a kilt is usually advised to be.
    Yes it would.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the Pipe Band world these are practically universal, we simply call them "rain capes".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klb3sVtqzIg

They're lightweight and provide, as you can see, excellent protection.

Prior to taking up the pipes I was familiar with a similar thing we have here in the US Southwest which we call "oilskin dusters". They've been around since Victorian times, I believe. They're heavy treated canvas.

When I'm not in Highland Dress I find that the combination of Scottish rain cape, cowboy hat, and wellies keeps me dry no matter what. Obviously when Pipe Bands wear rain capes with Glengarries the rain can enter around the neck.

Last edited by OC Richard; 25th November 21 at 06:01 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Scotland, the are generally referred to as "Inverness capes".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invern...Highland_dress

Alan

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12