X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanted: someone to do a jacket conversion

I’m in need of a couple of kilt jackets, and I’m looking for someone who does jacket conversions. I could take the jackets to a local tailor, but I’d rather support someone here and also I’d rather use someone who was familiar with kilt jackets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    I’m in need of a couple of kilt jackets, and I’m looking for someone who does jacket conversions. I could take the jackets to a local tailor, but I’d rather support someone here and also I’d rather use someone who was familiar with kilt jackets.
    If you don't have your heart set on a particular jacket that you love, I would encourage you to think about ordering a jacket MADE for a kilt rather than converting one that is not. The placement of the buttons and pockets on a "Saxon" jacket are very different than for a kilt jacket. Frankly, I've yet to see a conversion that did not look like a conversion. The flaps on the pockets ends up being way too close to the hem of the jacket to the point where the pockets can't possibly be functional.

There are lots of kilt jackets (with or without matching waistcoats) that can be obtained for a reasonable price, particularly if you scout Ebay and Etsy ... or check out www.ministryoftartan.com. While I would avoid new jackets available on Etsy and Ebay (they tend to be of poor quality), there are plenty of gently used jackets available on these sites if you can wait to obtain one in your size.

Just my two cents ...

Good luck with which ever path you choose.

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to ktk1961 For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that a regular suit coat or sport coat are not always suitable for conversion due to the button and pocket placement. About the only regular jackets that seem to work well are single button with patch pockets that can be turned into false pocket flaps.

I would also keep an eye on your local thrift stores. My local stores always seem to have Barathea and Tweed Argyles on the racks. The price is usually less than what you would pay a tailor for alterations

Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist always seem to have a few too.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I agree that a regular suit coat or sport coat are not always suitable for conversion due to the button and pocket placement. About the only regular jackets that seem to work well are single button with patch pockets that can be turned into false pocket flaps.

I would also keep an eye on your local thrift stores. My local stores always seem to have Barathea and Tweed Argyles on the racks. The price is usually less than what you would pay a tailor for alterations

Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist always seem to have a few too.
    The problem is I’m on the larger side so finding jackets can sometimes be problematic, especially if I’m trying to avoid a cheap Pakistani mass produced one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    The problem is I’m on the larger side so finding jackets can sometimes be problematic, especially if I’m trying to avoid a cheap Pakistani mass produced one.
    Understood. Check out Ministry of Tartan: http://www.ministryoftartan.com/kilt-jackets

They have jackets up to size 54.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk1961 View Post
    Understood. Check out Ministry of Tartan: http://www.ministryoftartan.com/kilt-jackets

They have jackets up to size 54.

Good luck!
    Unfortunately pre-Covid I wore a 56 jacket. Now I still can wear this size, but I have put on a little more weight with the decreased activity of the last nearly two years. I know a conversion isn’t going to be the same as a “ real” kilt jacket, but people here have done it, and I’m guessing most non kilt wearers wouldn’t know the difference, so why is everyone so down on this idea? I’m just curious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess most are down on the idea because it is seldom done well or convincingly - it's a compromise and what you typically end up with is something that is neither fish nor fowl.

There's no need to wear a jacket, but if you do it's perhaps better to wear one that's made for the job.

Whilst vintage jackets often run to smaller sizes and limit your options, ex-rental or clearing houses could be worth a look.

I have picked up a couple of decent ex-hire kilts (both from reputable kilt shops - Slanj and McCalls) and three clearance jackets, all for £50 each from kilts4less. Sure at the bigger end of the scale there is likely to be less choice but they have this (and others) in up to a size 58 https://www.kilts4less.com/product/g...ket-vest-copy/

Also maybe worth looking out for sale options. McCalls have a bunch of jackets on offer, from £75 and in some styles the sizes are listed up to 54, 56, 58 and 60. https://www.mccalls.co.uk/products/j...s/sale-jackets

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had four jacket conversations done. One by a local tailor that turned a vintage tail coat into a PC Coatee that I absolutely loved. The next was a tweed jacket done by my talented and beautiful wife. (These two I literally worn out with so much use over the years) The other two were inexpensive cotton twill blazers from Target of all places that my aforementioned talented and beautiful wife also converted for me. These two I still have and are absolutely brilliant as they are significantly lighter than tween and perfect for warm weather events (as we oft have in California).

The most crucial part of the conversion was touched on by Steve

"I agree that a regular suit coat or sport coat are not always suitable for conversion due to the button and pocket placement. About the only regular jackets that seem to work well are single button with patch pockets that can be turned into false pocket flaps."

The single most important part of converting a jacket into a kilt jacket is choosing the right jacket to convert!

Look at real kilt jackets.

Look at photos, look at them in real life.

Only when you are really familiar with all their lines and features, go hunting for a jacket to convert.

Frankly, if you aren't doing the tailoring yourself, you are probably better off saving for the real deal (and as you save keep an eye out for a great deal or Ebay find.

In the meantime a waistcoat or nice sweater might be a much easier proposition to find that would pair well with your kilt.

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post: