X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    BBC Scotland is currently running a documentary series on Glasgow's Central Station, which might be worth watching to see native Scots wearing the kilt 'in the wild' so to speak.

It features the front line troops of Scotland's famous (or infamous, as the case may be) Tartan Army fans arriving at the station to catch a 'football special' to take them to the Covid-postponed Euro-2020 championships. The variety of styles and outfits is a delight to see, and the seasoned kilt-watcher will notice immediately how little attention is being paid to the 'rules'.

Plumed and decorated Glengarries alongside Jimmy hats, silver-trimmed fur sporrans, coloured saltire sporrans, bespoke premium kilts and kilts that could have been made from the kitchen table-cloth are all there to be seen. All worn for fun and with nonchalance.

And the tour-guide team get fitted-out in 'day-wear' Highland dress, put it on and wear it without a second thought or second glance from passers-by.

Not only is it entertaining to see such a mix of business and pleasure, it is enlightening to see how far from its formal stick-to-the-rules style-code the kilt and Highland dress has been taken in its native land. Inspirational, in other words...
    I am away at the moment so cannot view the suggested program.

I do think that whilst what you say is absolutely true, there are no rules.But, BUT, I think some explanations to those outwith Scotland may be helpful.

So no rules, but there are social expectations, dress conventions and traditions to sympathetically consider. Added to which, there are differences of expectations between Glasgow, Edinburgh, lowland Scotland and the Highlands of Scotland. Some of these differences can be explained away by age and cultural differences. Nevertheless, the end result is, a person wearing the kilt in Scotland hardly rates a second look, by the natives. The "look at me" syndrome does not exist.

This may be very difficult for those outwith Scotland to comprehend-----------it is admittedly pretty difficult for the Scots to understand this obsession with kilt rules too---------- and this "look at me" perception that those outwith Scotland appear to be hung up with.

After all too many years on this website it is obvious to me that for those who want guidence on kilt wearing find it very difficult to understand the Scots attitude to kilt wearing and it seems almost impossible for a kilt wearing Scot to explain to outsiders that it is the occasion/event and the conventions that go with it, that guides what is worn, not a rule.

I have no wish to tread on anyone's toes here, but it is clear that this message is finding it very difficult to cross the Atlantic.

Having said all that, good advice is readily given from experienced kilt wearers in Scotland on this website and no doubt will continue and perhaps, perhaps with the hope that one day the message will get through.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can find the programme on iPlayer via the BBC website, on the BBC Scotland page - so it has been given the watch-on-demand option.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    After all too many years on this website it is obvious to me
    After 10 years of peeking and membership here it is obvious to me that I hope your health and enjoyment here keep your perspective available to all for a long time to come.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    After 10 years of peeking and membership here it is obvious to me that I hope your health and enjoyment here keep your perspective available to all for a long time to come.
    That is very kind of you to say so. Rest assured that I am doing my very best to stick around. So far so good!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tartan Army fans...plumed and decorated Glengarries alongside Jimmy hats, silver-trimmed fur sporrans, coloured saltire sporrans, bespoke premium kilts and kilts that could have been made from the kitchen table-cloth are all there to be seen...it is enlightening to see how far from its formal stick-to-the-rules style-code the kilt and Highland dress has been taken in its native land.
    Those not familiar with international Rugby and Football matches should be aware that Fancy Dress is common.

So you'll see Wales supporters wearing Leek hats, USA supporters wearing Uncle Sam suits or Bald Eagle costumes, England supporters dressed as knights from Monty Python And The Holy Grail.

In like manner Scotland supporters can be seen in Fancy Dress (Jimmy hats, fake red beards, cheap costume-ish kilts).

I don't think the leap can be made that the Fancy Dress seen at matches is a reflection of how people dress outwith that specific milieu.

Americans aren't going to wear Uncle Sam suits to weddings, dinners, or what have you.

And the Scot wearing Highland Dress to such functions isn't going to wear what he wears to Scotland matches, most likely. I'm assuming he would wear ordinary Highland Dress.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [...And the Scot wearing Highland Dress to such functions isn't going to wear what he wears to Scotland matches, most likely. I'm assuming he would wear ordinary Highland Dress.[/QUOTE]

That is just my point. He will.

Those men wearing their 'real' kilt with a Scotland shirt to the footie will also wear the same kilt to a Highland games, ceilidh or a wedding. What he wears with it will be in accordance with his sense of the occasion. In my experience, it never gets more complex than that.

Younger men particularly seem completely relaxed with the kilt in all situations, and for the footie, a gang of lads will agree to go kilted and wear with it what they would normally wear to a match. International matches become more of a spectacle than the regular Saturday fixture, thanks to all the tartan.

Consequently, from what I have seen on this forum, and at our own clan gatherings, the North American kiltie is often much more co-ordinated and sharper in a 'correct' way, and it's clear much more thought has been put into his outfit. But when dressed down, the Scot is much less likely to wear a utility-kilt, but will give no thought to how far off 'correct form' he has gone.

10. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [...And the Scot wearing Highland Dress to such functions isn't going to wear what he wears to Scotland matches, most likely. I'm assuming he would wear ordinary Highland Dress.
    That is just my point. He will.

Those men wearing their 'real' kilt with a Scotland shirt to the footie will also wear the same kilt to a Highland games, ceilidh or a wedding. What he wears with it will be in accordance with his sense of the occasion. In my experience, it never gets more complex than that.

Younger men particularly seem completely relaxed with the kilt in all situations, and for the footie, a gang of lads will agree to go kilted and wear with it what they would normally wear to a match. International matches become more of a spectacle than the regular Saturday fixture, thanks to all the tartan.

Consequently, from what I have seen on this forum, and at our own clan gatherings, the North American kiltie is often much more co-ordinated and sharper in a 'correct' way, and it's clear much more thought has been put into his outfit. But when dressed down, the Scot is much less likely to wear a utility-kilt, but will give no thought to how far off 'correct form' he has gone.[/QUOTE]

We colonials do seem to care about matching everything more than our cousins across the pond. I wonder if it's new world insecurity that causes this.
    Last edited by kilted2000; 20th November 21 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Forgot a word
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    We colonials do seem to care about matching everything more than our cousins across the pond. I wonder if it's new world insecurity that causes this.
    Not insecurity, I'm sure.

But the Inverse Law seems to apply - that is, the further away from the origin someone finds themself, the greater the appeal. At our own clan gatherings, there is always a huge representation from across the Atlantic and Antipodes, but the ones living half a mile away show no interet at all.

With the former colonies, and particularly the USA, being so cosmopolitan, there is a strong urge to recognise and exhibit ethnic or national origins. So much so that very few are simply 'American', but are introduced as being the Italian-American this, or Irish-American that.

Scots have an added advantage of an instantly recognised national dress, the kilt, and the huge choice of tartans available add another aspect to the costume - clan, district or region.

Putting in effort to show off the costume to its best advantage shows both self-respect and national pride, and so wearing it all in the 'correct' way seems only natural. Colour-matching and tone-blending might require an unusual amount to care and consideration, but the result can be as pleasing to look at as it is to wear.

The trick is getting the balance right. Too much comes over as overly theatrical and affected, but the opposite is also true, as the footie-fans' parade shows..!

13. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12