X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible DIY idea.

I’m watching a USAK YouTube video from a few months ago and they were joking around and they mentioned the possibility of a sword cane cromach. I am now slightly obsessed with this idea. How doable is this idea? What are your thoughts? I would probably try to convert an already made cromach.

Because this isn't really a traditional weapon as a kilt accessory, I'm not sure if this post violates the rules. If it does I apologize. I would never advocate actually using a weapon against another human being.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I ask please - You made the statement "I would never advocate actually using a weapon against another human being."

Then what is the purpose of carrying a weapon? Any weapon?

The word "weapon" is defined as "a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage."
    A sword has no other use but as a weapon. It is hard to open a box with one or use it as a tool. It's sole purpose is as a weapon intended to inflict bodily harm.
    For show perhaps, or for vanity?
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 20th November 21 at 10:50 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    May I ask please - You made the statement "I would never advocate actually using a weapon against another human being."

Then what is the purpose of carrying a weapon? Any weapon?

The word "weapon" is defined as "a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage."
    A sword has no other use but as a weapon. It is hard to open a box with one or use it as a tool. It's sole purpose is as a weapon intended to inflict bodily harm.
    For show perhaps, or for vanity?
    Given the rules posted at the top of this forum, I was trying to avoid violating the rules. Self-defense is one thing, I was talking about using violence just to be violent. To be honest, I just thought it would be a cool thing to have. I really didn’t put a lot of thought into this. 🥸
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sword cane

Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    Given the rules posted at the top of this forum, I was trying to avoid violating the rules. Self-defense is one thing, I was talking about using violence just to be violent. To be honest, I just thought it would be a cool thing to have. I really didn’t put a lot of thought into this. 🥸
    I used to make a lot of sgianan dubh and dirks, and some swords that were meant for wall hangers. Many times I was asked to make sword canes. I always refused. They are not only illegal, but they have no place in the kilted world.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    … They are not only illegal, but they have no place in the kilted world.
    As for the legality, I guess that all depends on where you live. What might be illegal in the Carolinas is legal in Texas, for instance.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While this is an interesting idea, I think it would be a difficult weapon to use, although I imagine the hilt would look kind of cool with the curved end. I am trying to envision if the blade would still be cane length or would it be longer?

As far as I can tell, at least in my state, a sword cane is no more or less legal than any other sword, which are legal where I live. Now I doubt you could convince any officers of the law they were legal and you might have to defend yourself verbally in court over this.

One thing I have always wondered about sword canes, and the principal reason I have never owned one, is are they still useable reliably as a cane? Does the blade and sheath construction still allow it to bear weight?

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AFS1970 For This Useful Post:

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sword-cromach ?

A cromach is a rural hiking staff for helping you to navigate uncertain terrain. The principle purpose of said stick (no matter what the decorations are part of it) is to be a sturdy and reliable hiking staff. Hollowing out one and adding a blade would make it anything but sturdy and reliable. If you were to make such a thing you have a structurally unsound hiking staff hiding a thin blade whose self defensive capabilities would be rather limited and all the while giving Law Enforcement good reason to question your intents and motives.

So a sword-cromach is inherently a strange combination.

I suspect that is why there aren't any examples of such a thing about

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 28th November 21 at 08:47 AM.
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

11. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post: