X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about how to increase the diameter of this badge to match the front of the Glengarry. One possibility might be to mount it on a larger (2" diameter?) disc of a contrasting metal such as Brass or Bronze, then mounting that assembly on your cap. You should be able to get Metal Supermarkets or some similar outfit (when they are not buried in customers) to cut a thin wafer off of the end of a round bar (they would have them for turning on lathes). 2 inch or thereabouts should be available. You'd have to clean it up yourself to get a polished disc but copper based alloys are easy to work. Depending on your skill level, you can either fasten, solder or glue them together. Modern resin glues like Gorilla Glue are easy to use (or good old epoxy) and will stick most metals together fairly well as long as the surfaces are roughed up to give it something to hold on to (Aluminum, alas resists glues of all sorts). You're not butting your head against something anyway and the joint should hold.

Just a thought ...
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or what about a blue peace of felt, as background?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    I was thinking about how to increase the diameter of this badge to match the front of the Glengarry. One possibility might be to mount it on a larger (2" diameter?) disc of a contrasting metal such as Brass or Bronze, then mounting that assembly on your cap. You should be able to get Metal Supermarkets or some similar outfit (when they are not buried in customers) to cut a thin wafer off of the end of a round bar (they would have them for turning on lathes). 2 inch or thereabouts should be available. You'd have to clean it up yourself to get a polished disc but copper based alloys are easy to work. Depending on your skill level, you can either fasten, solder or glue them together. Modern resin glues like Gorilla Glue are easy to use (or good old epoxy) and will stick most metals together fairly well as long as the surfaces are roughed up to give it something to hold on to (Aluminum, alas resists glues of all sorts). You're not butting your head against something anyway and the joint should hold.

Just a thought ...

I did something similar. Found another brooch, this one, that has an outside diameter of two inches. The rim is a quarter inch thick, so that gives my initial brooch plenty of breathing room inside this frame. I’m hoing to take it to a jeweller & have the flower taken off. So I’ll be wearing two brooches pinned to hate, one as a frame, one the inner brooch “floating” inside the outer frame
    Last edited by Kriegbert; 23rd November 21 at 06:24 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Kriegbert For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12