X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is a 1 ¼” (31.75mm) badge too small for a glengarry cap?

I bought a lovely brooch I want to use for my glengarry cap badge, but it’s much smaller than the more typical 50mm glengarry badge or 40mm Balmoral badge.

will it look odd? I was thinking if I had the ribbon proportionally smaller to frame the brooch in proportion it might not look too off.

note I do not have any clan affiliation etc so want to use a piece of regular jewellery for the glengarry
    Last edited by Kriegbert; 21st November 21 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like it then wear it. If its small then I doubt anyone will notice. If anyone does notice and makes a critical comment, then sentence one applies.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    If you like it then wear it. If its small then I doubt anyone will notice. If anyone does notice and makes a critical comment, then sentence one applies.
    I love it! I suppose I just don’t want someone staring because it’s too small! Or worse yet criticizing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put it on, and have a look in the mirror.
    (take a picture, now You're at it) ;)

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hauge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriegbert View Post
    I love it! I suppose I just don’t want someone staring because it’s too small! Or worse yet criticizing!
    Most people have good manners and don't pass comment. What they see may not enthuse them and they will usually hold their council.

The truth is, that if you are going "off piste" with your attire as a conscious decision, then you are laying yourself open for comment, even if its a silent one. So get used to it.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Scottish regimental cap-badges worn on Glengarries by the Highland regiments were all rather large, and I think that seeing those colours my instincts about what size badge looks proportional. (Obviously the regiments thought so! They could have made the badges any size they wanted.)

Clan cap badges became super popular with Victorian civilians, and they tended to be proportional too.

Here's a Mackie Glengarry and Balmoral demonstrating the two sizes of cap-badges made by Carrick. To my eye each looks "right".

When I see a Pipe Band wearing the Balmoral-sized badges on their Glengarries they look small to me.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd November 21 at 05:46 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably it is to be a permanent feature on your glengarry, so perhaps it could be made to look a little more than it is by making a needlework setting for it using something like a patch of ribbon to create a different texture as a background then creating a ring around it using gold or some suitable colour of cord couched down so that the overall effect is something like the belt on the clan badges to enclose the irregular outline of the badge.

That would enhance its impact considerably and should not be beyond most people handy with a needle.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's military beret size.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's going to look pretty odd. This beret badge is 1.25" wide x 1.75" high and it looks out of place on both a balmoral and a glengarry.

IMG_0920.jpg
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 23rd November 21 at 12:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve found some brooches that are wreaths—basically circles with empty spaces in the middle, so I might place the brooch I lik e inside that to frame it—I think that’ll work splendidly

actually, does anyone know where one can find clan badge garters without the crest inside?
    Last edited by Kriegbert; 23rd November 21 at 02:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast