X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the general opinion of UT Kilts?

I’m thinking about ordering one of their kilt jackets, but the price seems a little too good to be true. They say it’s 100% wool. I know you get what you pay for. I’ve tried the search function but I keep getting an error message. This is the jacket I’m considering. It would be an argyle with the metal buttons replaced with standard suit buttons. And it would be either grey or dark blue.
    https://www.utkilts.com/special-orde...cket-and-vest/
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can search around a bit here on the forums. [redacted, see below.]

There are (at least) two views. The first is that he offers a reasonable product at a great price. The second is that he preys on folks who, much like you, see "100% Wool" and think "wow this must be the real deal," when that is far from the truth.

Personally, I've been turned off by the lack off honesty & transparency he has displayed in the past. While this has improved quite a bit, and he does seem to be pretty honest now that his traditional wool kilts are made in Pakistan with "100% woolen wool" much like an army blanket, the sour taste remains for me (as it does for many others).

Looking at the jacket, it is certainly made in Pakistan at that price. It will be made to your measurements, which is a plus. It will probably be a pretty good value. If that is the jacket that works best for your budget, then there is no need to feel any shame in it.

Personally, I would save my money and purchase from a reputable vendor such as USA Kilts, Burnnett's & Struth's, McCall's Highlandwear, or similar. You will get a jacket which will last the rest of your life, if you take care of it. Alternatively, you could checkout Celtic Vintage Finds on Etsy, Ministry of Tartan, or eBay.co.uk and look for a nice vintage piece. I got my first tweed jacket from Heather at Celtic Vintage Finds for about $180, and my second from McCall's Highlandwear for about $250. Both are heirloom-quality pieces.
    Last edited by KennethSime; 24th November 21 at 09:05 PM. Reason: redacted

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    You can search around a bit here on the forums - Bryce used to be a sponsor of the forums, but withdrew at some point for some reason.

There are (at least) two views. The first is that he offers a reasonable product at a great price. The second is that he preys on folks who, much like you, see "100% Wool" and think "wow this must be the real deal," when that is far from the truth.

Personally, I've been turned off by the lack off honesty & transparency he has displayed in the past. While this has improved quite a bit, and he does seem to be pretty honest now that his traditional wool kilts are made in Pakistan with "100% woolen wool" much like an army blanket, the sour taste remains for me (as it does for many others).

Looking at the jacket, it is certainly made in Pakistan at that price. It will be made to your measurements, which is a plus. It will probably be a pretty good value. If that is the jacket that works best for your budget, then there is no need to feel any shame in it.

Personally, I would save my money and purchase from a reputable vendor such as USA Kilts, Burnnett's & Struth's, McCall's Highlandwear, or similar. You will get a jacket which will last the rest of your life, if you take care of it. Alternatively, you could checkout Celtic Vintage Finds on Etsy, Ministry of Tartan, or eBay.co.uk and look for a nice vintage piece. I got my first tweed jacket from Heather at Celtic Vintage Finds for about $180, and my second from McCall's Highlandwear for about $250. Both are heirloom-quality pieces.
    Just to be accurate - Brice of UT Kilts was - bricelythgoe - here on X Marks. You can search on our member list and see that he did not "withdraw" from the forum but had his membership revoked for repeated rule violations.
    UT Kilts were advertisers here for just 6 short months and that was also revoked before Brice himself.
    I won't go into any more specifics as this forum does not air its dirty laundry in public.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 23rd November 21 at 11:29 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Just to be accurate - Brice of UT Kilts was - bricelythgoe - here on X Marks. You can search on our member list and see that he did not "withdraw" from the forum but had his membership revoked for repeated rule violations.
    UT Kilts were advertisers here for just 6 short months and that was also revoked before Brice himself.
    I won't go into any more specifics as this forum does not air its dirty laundry in public.
    Thanks Steve - I seem to have misremembered. I've edited my post.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    I’m thinking about ordering one of their kilt jackets, but the price seems a little too good to be true. They say it’s 100% wool. I know you get what you pay for.
    https://www.utkilts.com/special-orde...cket-and-vest/
    The thing about Pakistani kilt jackets is that they can be very nice, indeed tricky to distinguish from UK-made ones.

They also can be horrid.

What they do generally do is violate USA garment labelling laws. Here garments are required to state their fabric content, and the laws concerning wool and leather are quite specific.

Pakistani labels are, on the other hand, often nonexistent, or if they do exist are vague and/or misleading.

They'll say things like "acrylic wool". USA law requires specificity such as " outer shell: 60% polyester 40% wool".

So with Pakistani jackets you don't know what the fabric content is. People who know clothes tell me that the things they've seen labelled "wool" are actually a polyester-wool blend.

In any case I personally wouldn't buy a Pakistani jacket unless I could see it in person, feel it, and try it on.

I've seen Pakistani jackets that felt to be wool, looked to be well-made, and fit perfectly.

I've seen Pakistani jackets that had a strange flimsy waxy feel, looked a bit shoddily made, and had very strange proportions.

Just one note: you'll encounter Pakistani-made jackets which are stated to be made, and appear to be made, from genuine Harris Tweed. If it is indeed Harris Tweed then the fabric content is the one thing you don't need to worry about.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 26th November 21 at 05:55 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: