X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Castle For Christmas

This thread is not to give reviews of this Netflix movie. However, the character Thomas, played by Lee Ross wears a number of different kilts throughout the program. Aside from his first scene where he is being a tour guide, they all are worn well. Does anybody have information on the kilts that he wears? One appears to be solid. and another appears to be tweed. while there is at least one tartan. Likewise, a number of other characters wear various kilts, some formal, others casual. Thoughts?
    Si Deus, quis contra? Spence and Brown on my mother's side, Johnston from my father, proud member of Clan MacDuff!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the best film - but some nice location shots. My 6 year old enjoyed it - but mainly to spot places she's been to. Culross (which stands in for the village) is well worth a visit.

In terms of the kilts a bit of mixed bag. The guide outfit worn by Lee Ross (Thomas) is a bit of pantomime costume (although you will see the Tartan Army wearing similar these days). The tartan itself look regimental, maybe MacKenzie/78th Highlanders. The tweed kilt he wears is another story, a fairly modern take on casual kilt wearing and works well with the waistcoat, shirt sleeves and the jumpers - he wears this with his sock up, rolled down and half-mast with various styles of boots. Up or down I don't mind, but I'm not a fan the half-mast look (very 21st Kilts). At the party his kilt is hard to pick out. The set looks too small for a regular tartan - but there is something niggling away in my mind - it's a bit like a dark version of Borthwick but could be a tweed - he is dressed in a more modern, monochrome style at the party.

As for the party generally - that shows quite a good variety of kilt wear from casual through to formal and everything in-between with a mix of modern and traditional styles. I've certainly seen similar at cèilidhs and Burn's suppers - including folk with their brogues laced up to the top their calfs - but maybe not a fair isle gansie with a kilt.

Carly Elwes (Myles) wears is a bit of a mishmash with a nod towards typical PC evening get up (maybe a bit hire shop at first glance - but at least he dodged the ecru socks, I quite like the coloured hose-tops, although not often seen - and the regular collar with bow tie is a nice old school look) although the hair sporran is a little anachronistic and the boots are an odd choice and don't go with the rest of his attire.

Apparently they used the "royal tailor" for the kilts - so I would guess they mean Kinloch Anderson.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miles also wears a Kinloch Anderson coatee so it makes sense that they went to them. I did not like the boots at all and did really like Thomas' wardrobe. Even though I don't like the look of scrunched hose on myself, I thought it was appropriate and looked good on the character.

Here is a photo of Cary Elwes and Brooke Shields, Cary wearing the KA Coatee:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good lord that's some accent from Cary Elwes
    "Humanity is an aspiration, not a fact of everyday life."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micrographia View Post
    Good lord that's some accent from Cary Elwes
    The film has not been well-received in Scotland, and the less hostile comments have been along the lines of 'What have we Scots done to offend Netflix..?' or 'Could Netflix not find any Scottish actors..?'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    The film has not been well-received in Scotland, and the less hostile comments have been along the lines of 'What have we Scots done to offend Netflix..?' or 'Could Netflix not find any Scottish actors..?'
    Indeed!! Could have been much better. For me the only saving grace are the establishing shots and some of the locations, although Delmany House with it's Christmas lights is hard on the eyes.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the film a couple of evenings ago. I was unimpressed for all sorts of reasons. The thought occurred whilst watching the film that it is a fertile climate for even more trans-Atlantic mis-conceptions of Scotland and Scottish kilt attire.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd December 21 at 01:26 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We watched it this evening.

I enjoyed a few things about the film:
    • The scenery
    • How completely ridiculous Thomas's guide outfit was
    • Thomas's tweed kilts
    • Drinking every time someone said "Dun Dunbar"

I mean really, what genius at Netflix earth thought that "Fort Fort Summit" was a great name for a castle? I imagine someone told them that "Dun" meant castle, and "Dunbar" happened to be the most Scottish-sounding place name they'd heard of. The idea that the "Dun" in "Dunbar" might be related went totally over their head.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post

• The scenery
    • Thomas's tweed kilts

I mean really, what genius at Netflix earth thought that "Fort Fort Summit" was a great name for a castle? I imagine someone told them that "Dun" meant castle, and "Dunbar" happened to be the most Scottish-sounding place name they'd heard of. The idea that the "Dun" in "Dunbar" might be related went totally over their head.
    Ah - but if you go to Mull you can see the Eas Fors Waterfall - which means waterfall waterfall waterfall.
    Last edited by Tomo; 4th December 21 at 06:33 AM.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post

• The scenery
    • Thomas's tweed kilts

There is a long-established (think Shakespeare and all those before and since) tradition in theatre that facts should never get in the way of the story.

So why should Netflix to break with tradition..?

Perhaps the Netflix writers did their research by watching historical documentaries like Brigadoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast