X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Tie/Flashes Advice

I'm attending a Daughters of the British Empire Christmas Tea this Saturday, serving basically as an usher (and decoration for pictures). I'll be in my Scottish National kilt, which I think has nice Christmas colors, dark grey Argyll and waistcoat, and day sporran. My question is how to combine my hose, flashes, and tie.

I have the option of my green hose with red flashes that compliment a solid red tie, which I've worn before. That works, but in the spirit of the holiday I bought some red hose and green flashes. Once they arrived the green in the flashes is horrible and clashes not only with the kilt but also with anything else I might put with it. I have some black flashes that wouldn't look out of place with the red hose, but what do I use for a tie with that combination?

If all else fails I could go with my existing combination, but I was hoping to add a bit of Christmas color with the red hose. I'll be in basically the same outfit for Christmas eve, and am ordering a properly colored green tie with matching pocket square; my talented wife is going to make flashes out of the pocket square for me. But as for this Saturday, what to do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn’t overthink it. I know it’s a very American thing to want to try to match everything, but it’s not that big of a deal. I would even argue that too much matchy matchy might make it look like you put too much thought into your clothing and might come across as not a very natural look. I’ve always been taught, even before I thought of wearing a kilt, that a matching tie and pocket square are best avoided for this reason. Things like this are more of a matter of personal taste and style, rather than one of a set tradition. See the Hardy Amies quote in my signature for more on this idea.
    Last edited by kilted2000; 1st December 21 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Added a sentence
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry too much.

If you don't like the flashes - ditch them - they're not obligatory, just wear the elastic bit if the hose won't stay up without them.

No need for the tie to match the socks or anything else. Pick something that compliments your shirt or jacket instead.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't overthink it just use what you have.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing saying you can't have a little fun with a Christmas outfit.

Maybe a small bit of Christmas ribbon looped over the elastic. Maybe with small bells or a small bit of greenery.

Don't sweat the small stuff. And flashes are small stuff. The idea is to have fun, look good, and make your host proud of how you perform as usher and photo dressing.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the great encouragement! After laying everything out and consulting with my wife last night I'm going with red hose, black flashes, and will pick up a new green tie that properly pulls everything together. I do have a habit of getting wrapped up in details, which is part of the fun but also the risk of this wonderful hobby of kilt wearing.

It might have been more interesting for the board had I asked a more common question like how to best hang a claymore from my fly plaid while wearing a great kilt to the grocery store, but thankfully my time here has educated me beyond such pursuits

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a piper when I'm hired to play at events I'm part of the "show" so to speak, and if I can I'll co-ordinate with the event colours.

Schools around here emphasise the "school colors" for example I play a few times a year for a University whose colours are claret and grey, and I wear the grey hose, shirt, and waistcoat with claret flashes, tie, and kilt. They notice and appreciate it. (My kilt isn't actually claret, but a red tartan in House Of Edgar's "muted" colours, which is as close as I have.)

What should be avoided is showing up wearing the colours of a school's rival, which might raise eyebrows.

I've not done weddings since pre-Covid but when I did do loads of weddings I'd always ask the "wedding colors" and try to, if not match, at least not clash with them. Once again it's often noticed and appreciated.

So I'm more inclined than most traditional kilt-wearers to be aware of such things.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 7th December 21 at 05:01 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the great advice as usual. With the capable advice of my wife I took advantage of the opportunity to be a bit more colorful in the Christmas season. I went with the red hose and black flashes, and combined those with a red and white striped tie. I was partnered with a Scotland native, also kilted, who looked over things with a critical eye and congratulated me on doing things correctly and not making any of the rather frequent American kilt wearing mistakes. It's always good to get verification from an expert!ChristmasKilt.jpg

14. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to TNScotsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking great.