X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

American Clan Chiefs

My clan connection is with the Clan Urquhart. One interesting fact about this clan is that its chief is an American. As was his father and grandfather. Have you ever heard of other American or non-Scottish clan chiefs? More information about the Urquhart chief can be found in the link below.

http://www.clanurquhart.org/?page_id=526
    Last edited by kilted2000; 3rd December 21 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Removed misleading text
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard such 'transgressions' qualified by 'The better the breeding, the worse the crime.'

But that is somewhat subjective.

Sartorial traditions and conventions are established to protect us from each other, so we don't cause offence or embarassment, and to help the sense of occasion when appropriate. If a clan chief falls below what his clan might expect from him, a kindly word to set his straight might be appreciated. But being the chief does not excuse him from making the effort, nor make what he does 'correct'.

There seems to be a number of non-Scots chiefs - the Duke of Atholl is South African, and Robertson of Struan has Jamaican connections and there are some whose family has been south of the border for generations. So for the chief of Clan Urquhart to be American is perhaps not so exceptional.

Is he, or will he become, actively involved with the clan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just read through the Clan Urquhart link.

From your query, I got the impression the chief was newly found, and a novice to the ways of the kilt.

But no.

His profile shows he is setting an excellent example to his clan, and they would be rightly justified to have pride in him. His outfit pictured seems fine, and it would be churlish to find fault. Nothing about his appearance troubles my sometimes critical eyes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I've just read through the Clan Urquhart link.

From your query, I got the impression the chief was newly found, and a novice to the ways of the kilt.

But no.

His profile shows he is setting an excellent example to his clan, and they would be rightly justified to have pride in him. His outfit pictured seems fine, and it would be churlish to find fault. Nothing about his appearance troubles my sometimes critical eyes...
    I wasn’t trying to imply anything about his dress personally. I was just wondering hypothetically about it in my sleep-deprived state. I’m sorry if I misled anyone.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't say specifically that there was a problem with your chief's attire, but it was implied and suggested by the grammatical syntax of your post. If there is something you find unacceptable, what is it please, and if not, let's clarify.

I am relatively good at this but far, far from being an expert. To me he looks fine as shown in the link you provided. I've not seen a sporran like that before, but that's likely much a matter of taste I'd imagine.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    You didn't say specifically that there was a problem with your chief's attire, but it was implied and suggested by the grammatical syntax of your post. If there is something you find unacceptable, what is it please, and if not, let's clarify.

I am relatively good at this but far, far from being an expert. To me he looks fine as shown in the link you provided. I've not seen a sporran like that before, but that's likely much a matter of taste I'd imagine.
    I have no problems with what he is wearing. I will edit my original post to correct any misunderstandings.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    Have you ever heard of other American or non-Scottish clan chiefs?
    MacBain
    MacLaine of Lochbuie
    MacNeal

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    ....Have you ever heard of other American or non-Scottish clan chiefs?....

http://www.clanurquhart.org/?page_id=526
    Morrison (New Hampshire, USA)
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a bit behind the times, for I see that Kenneth Trist Urquhart passed away about nine years ago. His picture is in a book I have on Scotch whisky. The chief of Clan Mackintosh currently lives outwith Scotland, and the chief of Clan Chattan is resident in New Zealand, I believe. We are truly becoming a global community.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Macman For This Useful Post: