X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seaforth officers' shopping list

Putting together a kilt outfit is always a shock to the bank-ballance, and most of us do so in easy stages whilst allowing budget and personal taste govern the choice.

This list is the requirment of an officer in the Seaforth Highlanders during the Great War, and is taken from the memoires of an Englishman who ran away from home to join up at the start of the conflict, after his coastal home town of Hartlepool had been bombarded by German warships. The Seaforths were the farthest away.

He entered as a private soldier, advanced quickly through the ranks of NCOs, and was selected for officer training. At the time, officers were expected to provide their own kit, and this list is the basic requirements. The items marked with an X are those he already had as part of standard issue for an NCO or private; the rest he would have to buy himself.

The account is by Norman Collins who lived to be 100 years old, and is entitled Last Man Standing. Many of the photographs in the book are Collins' own from his time in the trenches, and from when he revisited the battle scenes in later life.

Interestingly, and rather poignantly, he says of The Armistice that it came too late, as eveyone was already dead. And he tells of the mean and selfish hostility of a surprising number of French locals to the soldiers - refusing them water on their marches up to the Front, or the dry shelter of a barn to sleep in when coming back in depleted numbers and battle-weary. Not what we normally hear...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Officers' kit requirements.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	41041

Collins marks the prices in pounds-shillings-pence (Lsd) and comes up with a combined cost of about £65. As a junior officer, his pay would have been about two pounds, thirteen shillings a week, before compulsary 'stoppages'. The kilt is one of the most expensive items, while the revolver, Sam Browne belt and Skean Dhu are all similar in price. He notes these a minimum prices, and a mens average earnings at the time was about £70 - so almost a year's earnings. Average earnings today are about £27,000.

Although not listed here, he elsewhere mentions his basket-hilt broad-sword, which he carried as an NCO and officer, and which would have formed a significant part of his kit, saying the weapon was quite unsuited to trench warfare.
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 3rd December 21 at 04:46 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This list reminded me of another I found in the very good introductory text, ‘The Tommy of the First World War.’ written by Neil R. Storey. Not Scottish, but it further illustrates the expense of a First World War British officer. It also includes prices for a sword. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D565E0AF-040B-4005-B140-3935FB373C7C.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	41042

No copyright infringement intended.

So it looks like I finally figured out how to post a picture. How do I make sure it is the right way up?
    Last edited by kilted2000; 3rd December 21 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Apologies for the sideways image
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The prices, although given only in shillings (eg 75/-) instead of three pounds, fifteen shillings (£3-15/-) seem to be fairly close to what Norman Collins records.

If average earnings for the time are compared with the quoted prices, being an officer was beyond the means of most men - even those who might be 'officer class' - if they were not of private means. The Seaforth kilt at four pounds, four shillings (£4.20 in decimal currency) demands a hugh chunk of an officer's pay - more than a week and a half's worth.

As a proportion of men's average earnings for the time, £70 per annum, £4-4/- is a sizeable percentage - more than 20 percent. The same proportions of today's average earnings would put the kilt at the equivalent of about £15,000. That would have to be some kilt..!

A bespke weaving of the most superior kilting, and made up into a totally tailored kilt by the highest skilled maker would only cost about a tenth of that today.

About 40 years ago, I inherited my grand-father's uniform and equipment from the time of the Great War, and that which he acquired between 1939-45 - some of it never worn - boots, belts, dress uniform, service and battle-dress, along with compass, binoculars, camping-gear, etc. I had wondered why he had kept it, but at this kind of cost I can see why...

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that list is just Service Dress, is it not?

Prior to 1914 officers would have purchase Full Dress as well!

Note the wide variety of Seaforth officers' dress c1900

There are items like

-Full Dress doublet
    -feather bonnet
    -white sword and waist belts
    -dirk
    -plaid and plaid brooch
    -full dress/Levee dress sporran
    -full diced hose
    -buckled brogues
    -blue Patrol frock
    -riding boots
    -riding breeches
    -spurs
    -shell jacket
    Last edited by OC Richard; 3rd December 21 at 08:38 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that would be for service dress, and full regimentals would be a whole different matter. But I believe expectations in war-time were different regarding that.

Regimental tailors still often advertise special rates and terms for cadets and junior officers, and some, like Gieves & Hawkes, provide a special kind of storage service for full dress uniforms.

It used to be that the men had the cost of their uniforms and equipment stopped from their pay, but by the time of the Great War, when it was about a shilling a day (5p) that had come to an end.

In the days when the commanding officer could add to, or change, elements of the uniform arbitrarily or on a fancy, the poor individuals of the Other Ranks were perpetually in debt to their regiment. The only benefit was when the individual left the service, and his gear left with him.

My father's uncle who served in the Seaforths at the same time as Collins, gave his kilt to his youngest sister for her to make into a skirt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'British Warm' or 'British Warmer' in the lists of requirements is a ribbed jersey, I believe.

Anne the Pleater
    Last edited by Pleater; 3rd December 21 at 10:12 AM.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wondering how to post at correct orientation - did a copy onto my PC, then opened it rotated and saved, and it has come back correctly

I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    The 'British Warm' or 'British Warmer' in the lists of requirements is a ribbed jersey, I believe.

Anne the Pleater
    It's an overcoat, worn by officers in preference to the greatcoat.

And still worn by officers of the British Army according this entry in the Army Dress Regulations (All Ranks):

01.127. BRITISH WARM: a pattern of officer’s optional informal overcoat, evolved from a
    pea-jacket, and fitted with leather buttons, this later largely displaced the formal khaki greatcoat. The
    colour came to be mainly the alternative fawn shade. Not normally a parade item.
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 4th December 21 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    A bespke weaving of the most superior kilting, and made up into a totally tailored kilt by the highest skilled maker would only cost about a tenth of that today.
    The tartan would have been standard cloth for the military (different qualities for different ranks and uses) and not a bespoke weave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post

Anne the Pleater
    It could be, but in this case it will refer to the style of short greatcoat worn by officers - double-breasted, epauletted, deep collared, of the sort much favoured by retired colonels in port-war films.

Well-made originals are highly prized these days, being much less 'army surplus' in style than the reguar greatcoat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast