X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt jacket alteration advice needed

I recently took delivery of a new kilt jacket from USAK. It’s mostly fits except it is tight under my arms. I talked to Rocky and his team about sizing up, but they said the shoulders were already a bit big, and going up a size wouldn’t necessarily help anyway. They suggested I talk to a local tailor to see if he thinks anything can be done with the jacket. I wanted to see what the Rabble thought of the situation. I’m including some pictures, I hope, of me with the jacket on. The vest seems to fit ok. The sleeves also need to be shortened, but that’s to be expected.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7196A9CB-8548-4B72-8935-974D994F85E1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	41043

Name:	CF45BE78-89BE-4B66-88E7-F87AA7F90DC7.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	41044
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoulders too wide and armhole too short - with the sleeve cap longer, the armhole deeper and taking out that vertical crease from the top of the jacket there should be a big improvement in how it fits - fitting is just a matter of isolating and reducing the creases, at base, the skill is knowing what is causing them.
    The sleeve length will be useful - it might not need shortening, just moving up into the right place.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sleeves look just about right to me.

It's long been common for Highland jackets to have the sleeves come low enough to fully cover the wrist, down around 1/3 of the way between the wrist and the knuckles.

You'll even see the sleeves come to halfway between the wrist and the knuckles, though to me that looks a bit long.

I know modern non-Highland suits often have the sleeves way up at the wrists. None of my kilt jackets are like that. To me it looks too short.

As always the Duke of Rothesay can be relied upon for perfect attire.

And as always Kilt Hire can be relied upon to do everything wrong.

Last edited by OC Richard; 12th December 21 at 06:04 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I well remember discussing sleeve length with my then tailor many moons ago and as he was measuring me up and passing on the measurements to his scribe, I shall never forget him stepping back and looking me straight in the eyes and saying," we don't want to get our shirt cuffs wet, now do we, sir." Over the many years since I have thanked him under my breath, he passed away shortly after making the jacket, for his sage advice.

Name:	WGN_1530.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	41087

click to enlarge.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 12th December 21 at 07:16 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post: