X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under apron pleat on the X-Kilt

I am finally started on my X-kilt and have a question. The Appendix 1 diagram shows, from the right hand side, an over-apron edge hem allowance; the over apron of 10"; then the under apron pleat 12" the the inner fold etc. Steve's excellent (and often entertaining) instructions direct me to measure the over apron, (which in my case turns out to be 8" instead of 10") but do not explain where the 12" under apron pleat comes in. Is the 12" is just a random measurement? What am I missing here? I don't want to start sewing in pleats until I know I am not going to regret it.
    Kakra, kakra (step by step)

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not exactly sure which diagram you are referring to but I believe that the 12 inches you are referring to is the deep and/or reverse pleats. Is it possible that the 12" is folded into a pleat so its depth is 6" after folding.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The diagram in question

Let me see if I can attach the diagram
    Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 3.20.31 PM.png

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The line marked "stitch this all the way to the waistband" is folded over to the edge of the first pleat.

This creates the underfold of the first pleat (the 3" labeled on the diagram) plus the 12" folded in half for a 6" deep pleat.

Last edited by Steve Ashton; 3rd December 21 at 07:25 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Message recieved

Ah ha. Yes. Of course. Thank you, Steve. Now I get it. And of course now it looks so simple I wonder why I didn't get right away. This is one of the reasons why I have enjoyed sewing since I took it up a couple winters ago. It is much like boat building, which I also enjoy. Very multi dimensional with each component interacting with all others.

Okay, I have a coffee at my side to start the day. After breakfast, I will be back at the sewing machine. Again, thank you very much for your clear and prompt reply.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to nkosuohene For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nkosuohene View Post
    *snip* It is much like boat building, which I also enjoy. Very multi dimensional with each component interacting with all others.*snip*
    Ha! Don't get Steve started on that!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That? as in boat building?

Pray tell, why not?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we'll see if it happens.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because Father Bill is pulling your chain. In a former life I was a Naval Architect/Marine Engineer. I worked in the boating industry, owned my own yacht company, and have designed and built many boats from fiberglass and rotomolded sea Kayaks, to trailerable lapstrake wooden rowing and sail boats, up to 63 ft. world class, single handed sailing cruisers.

I used to live on a 42' Rhodes Bounty II and single handed from Florida to Hawaii and back including 3 days in a hurricane off the coast of Honduras.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Because Father Bill is pulling your chain. In a former life I was a Naval Architect/Marine Engineer. I worked in the boating industry, owned my own yacht company, and have designed and built many boats from fiberglass and rotomolded sea Kayaks, to trailerable lapstrake wooden rowing and sail boats, up to 63 ft. world class, single handed sailing cruisers.

I used to live on a 42' Rhodes Bounty II and single handed from Florida to Hawaii and back including 3 days in a hurricane off the coast of Honduras.
    This all very good to know. When I run into a problem on my next boat build, I will know who to turn to. I am hoping that will be next winter if I can find a heated workshop. Clearly your knowledge and experience far exceeds mine, Steve. I only have two builds under my belt - my current Wharram designed 24 foot cat and a prevoius cat, also a Wharram design. Currently I am infatuated with a Kohler design, a 20 foot cat.