X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorta Ghillie Brogues

Never found a brand of Ghillie Brogues wide enough for my Viking Scot feet. Recently got into "barefoot shoes" that have wide toe boxes. Love 'em! Realized that some (these are Softstar Primal Sawyers) look a lot like Ghillies. So, hey, why not? Kilted up in my Scott Modern Red for a local Christmas Craft Fair.

Maybe if I do long laces and tie them like Gillies....?

Side note. I prefer vests to sporrans...much more room, more comfortable too. Shows off more tartan.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is that I see a bit of "Rose City" influence there. All that is missing is a bicycle.
    ---------------------------------------
    One has no need for a snooze button, when one has a hungry cat.

Tartan Riders, Kilted Oregon

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't been back to Portland since 1968....but was class of '62 at Cleveland High
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure they look much like Ghillies Brogues, but they sure do look comfy. I've heard some really great things about Sofstars.

I've been getting into barefoot shoes for the past two years or so also. I have a 5E width toe box, but normal 5E shoes are too wide throughout the whole foot (and look terrible).

I started running in Altras, which have a "foot shape" toe box but normal shoe cushioning, but my favorite everyday shoes now are from Lems. I wear their Boulder Boots pretty often with my kilts - they look like a standard moc-toe workbook. Their Nine2Fives are a great dressier option, and I wear a pair when I'm wearing tweed daywear.

For something more formal, a brand called Carets has some really great options. I'm fairly certain I'll be buying a pair for my wedding. Here are their black brogues.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! Seems reasonable to free our feet as well as our manhood. I also have Lems Boulder boots and a pair of Be Lenka Ranger Boots enroute. Bought the later through Anya's store. Anya's Reviews have sure helped me shop. So many folks claim wide but don't deliver. I've settled on Softstar Primal Sawyers and some Sawyer RunAmocs. I can design my own RunAmoc colors. Also have Be Lenka Trailwalkers. Arrived at minimalist shoes through Altras but now I take the insoles of my Altras out for better ground feel.

Also found alternate ways of lacing shoes for my wide foot and that helps a lot too.

I enjoy the FREEDOM of a kilt flowing loosely about me and the FREEDOM of a minimalist shoe flowing loosely about my feet.

The wide toe box shoes have also greatly reduced my peripheral neuropathy...a gift of years of boozing and then chemo.

Maybe someday someone will make wide ghillie brogues....but guessing us wide footed kilties need to create that market by asking for such a product.
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 13th December 21 at 08:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Maybe someday someone will make wide ghillie brogues....but guessing us wide footed kilties need to create that market by asking for such a product.
    Thistle does offer wide options, however they're still not "foot shape," and not very wide when you get down to it.

Would you share how you like the Be Lankas when you get them in? They look very well made - I wonder if they are they as wide as your Lems?

I picked up a pair of Xero Alpines for a snow boot recently. The boot itself is made well, very warm, great traction, but the toe box isn't nearly as wide as my Lems - a bit disappointed there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some folks, like Lems, call 2E wide...it's narrow for me.

Be Lanka's are wide, just a hair narrower than the Softstars. Both are wider than my Lems Boulder Boots.

Ordered Be Lankas both from Be Lanka's website and from Anya's Store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Some folks, like Lems, call 2E wide...it's narrow for me.

Be Lanka's are wide, just a hair narrower than the Softstars. Both are wider than my Lems Boulder Boots.

Ordered Be Lankas both from Be Lanka's website and from Anya's Store.
    That's great feedback. My Boulder Boots are the widest shoes I've ever owned, and definitely my comfiest shoes. Now I'm really excited to try the Be Lankas.