X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Double-duty" tweed?

I apologize in advance if this topic has come up before—the site search feature does not appear to be functioning correctly.

I recently got my first standard kilt (my only other is a great kilt) and I'm looking to start building out a simple semi-casual wardrobe.

My question is, are there any tweed jackets/waistcoats out there that can do "double-duty" with a kilt as well as with trousers? My guess is no, due to the cropped cut of a purpose-made kilt jacket to bring the waistline up above the sporran. If such an animal exists, what should I be looking for on eBay and Etsy? I'm seeing lots of Argylls and a handful of Crails and Braemars when I search for "kilt jacket," and it looks like a tweed Argyll is going to be my best bet but not suitable to wear with trousers.

I'm hoping for a somewhat more experienced opinion.

For context, I live in the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States, so I'd be looking for something somewhat medium-weight that will be suitable for the majority of the year, autumn through spring. Any recommendations will be a great help.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guessed correctly. Sorry!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately I’ve never seen a jacket such as you are describing, OP.

Jackets tailored for kilts can be worn with high waisted trews but will simply look short with the cut of modern pants.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    You guessed correctly. Sorry!
    Haha! Perfectly succinct answer, and about what I expected. Looks like I just need to convince my wife that more kilts and jackets equate to a more versatile wardrobe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ObiSeanKenobi View Post
    Haha! Perfectly succinct answer, and about what I expected. Looks like I just need to convince my wife that more kilts and jackets equate to a more versatile wardrobe.
    Get yourself a lightweight, dark or mid-dark tweed with simple cuffs and it will go with pretty well any kilt you purchase in the future, and for all but the most unusually formal events. Good, economical purchase.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own three kilt jackets, and only one of those was purchased new - even that one was on a closeout sale.

Going vintage is a good way to help justify the extra jackets, in my experience. If you search through Etsy, eBay, and perhaps Ministry of Tartan, you can find matching kilt jacket & waistcoat sets for $100-200 pretty regularly.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen black Argyll jackets with silver square buttons cut long to wear with trousers. As I recall they were worn by Drum Majors who chose trews.

I'll try to find a photo.

There's long precedence in the military for Highland military jackets cut for trouser-wearing, but with civilian wear my impression is that it's a recent thing.

Of course in Victorian times there are many photos showing men in kilts wearing full-length jackets which presumably the men also wore with their trousers.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 7th December 21 at 05:15 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...or you could get some trews - although not sure if I'm allowed to mention them on here

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, let me way I love your screen name.

I recall a post a few years ago from one of the younger members of the Rabble. The gentleman in question had bought an off-the-rack tweed jacket at one of the more fashion-conscious mall shops. And since the "skinny everything" fad has been so prevalent of late, the jacket was cut pretty close to the body and rather on the high side. So it was able to straddle that space between pants and kilts. With trousers, it would reveal a bit of one's backside, but that seems to be common with fashionable jackets at the moment. With a kilt, it was a wee bit lower than a traditional argyll, but not too much. I don't recall if it came from Zara or Forever 21 or whatever. But such a creature is likely still out there, if you look about enough.

However, I strongly recommend a good kilt jacket as being completely worthwhile. If you really like your kilt jacket and look smashing in it--well, you'll find yourself opting for the kilt for all sorts of events and you will definitely get your money's worth out of the jacket that way. That's certainly how it's gone for me.

Andrew

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    ...or you could get some trews - although not sure if I'm allowed to mention them on here
    I was thinking the very same thing about tartan trews and kilt cut jackets. As a matter of interest, I have never seen any criticism on this website of tartan trews being mentioned by anyone.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 7th December 21 at 09:15 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast