X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
    I couldn’t agree more and what a good synopsis of kilt- wearing. I don't know about Glaswegians but am happy to defer to Jock there but it seems that they have their own attitudes. I do know that Glasgow was a destination for many highlanders so perhaps their opinion is valuable but maybe kilts were not so important to those dispossessed and seeking a living in Glasgow in those times.
    In my experience in my youth, 1940's/50's, civilian kilt wearers in Glasgow were a fairly rare sight. I and my brother experienced a fairly hostile reception when we visited Glasgow more than a few times in our kilts. An experience shared by others too. "Kilty kilty cold bum" was the regular taunt and much, much worse on occasion. In recent times the kilt has become a more regular occurrence in Glasgow and it causes me and others huge amusement to hear the Glaswegian kilt experts pontificating about how to wear the kilt. Particularly as one sees the err, ummm, "interesting" results of their new found kilt attire knowledge!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 12th December 21 at 05:25 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry for your friend's passing. It was good of you to honor his request.

Maybe it is the correct length and he's wearing it lower than he should or wants to.
    I know my husband's legs seem to be shrinking as he ages as his belt buckle rides lower and lower.

I'm with the crew that would only offer advice or help if asked.
    (I deal enough with the local "bunad police" in the next village. She's a Swede and has NO idea how things in my home Norwegian island are worn, but she 'read it in a book', so I get lectured.) Same deal, different country.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12